Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I have a 2017 SV and have the lower end stereo
pictured here

and I installed an aftermarket camera, pictured here

and a mirror with an LCD in it for my reverse camera (works great)

but I want to try to add the upgraded stereo to my SV along with a harness I found that has video input for a reverse camera

pictured here

and here is an upgraded stereo from a Frontier

all I have to do is run the yellow RCA cable from my camera up a few inches and plug it in

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
the rear view mirror, for now, but I am looking to get the UPGRADED stereo and add the camera to that via the harness

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would stay with mirror, keeps your eyes in working area, looking down at radio area lessens your ability to see larger area of front, sides and rear for other dangers.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
it does but there are other things the stereo gives, like text message integration (least that is what i was told) and NAV

but I tend no to look out the windshield as I back out of my driveway
I usually look back over my shoulders

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find the factory backup camera to be pretty useless. The low resolution coupled with the small screen on the stereo....add sunlight....not very useful at all.

As the poster above....I always look over my shoulder and make sure it is clear. The backup sonar is much more helpful in case you can't see something behind you....kids toy, animal, big rock, car, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the display radio contra posted above... its the same wiring as the 2015, 2016, etc. You can add a factory backup camera but you have to repin the secondary radio harness as the camera wiring isnt there. Its why you cant add the Value Truck Package to a truck when its on the dealer lot. But if you can read the wiring diagrams its not hard to do. I got an OEM camera and built a harness from the camera to the radio and tapped the reverse wire in the fuse box under the reverse light relay... Sounds harder than it is.

After I added the backup camera I added a OEM navigation head unit which basically involved repinning/building a new secondary harness. Again sounds a lot harder than it is.

The only thing my desert runner doesnt have electronically from the VTP is the sonar system and heated seats (not sure if the heated seats are part if the VTP)... I will say this the dealer I bought my truck from didnt really sound fond of the idea of adding this stuff to a desert runner but oh well... lol. I will go else where for warranty work if i need it

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/2015-sv-oem-navigation-swap-completed-193897/

Check out this thread. Also I just realized contra's radio is a little different than mine was. His has an ipod menu button where mine had an apps button. Not sure if it will change the pin out wiring on the back of the radio... unlikely but possible.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I find the factory backup camera to be pretty useless. The low resolution coupled with the small screen on the stereo....add sunlight....not very useful at all.

I'm going to disagree on some points. yes you have to check your surroundings, sun on screen does not help, but not a useless camera. when backing out of average parking lot the camera being mounted on rear of truck & its a wide angle lens you can see way more than if you just turned your head, especially when you are parked next a van or large truck.

not sure why your truck doesn't have camera ? my SV came with one from the factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm going to disagree on some points. yes you have to check your surroundings, sun on screen does not help, but not a useless camera. when backing out of average parking lot the camera being mounted on rear of truck & its a wide angle lens you can see way more than if you just turned your head, especially when you are parked next a van or large truck.

not sure why your truck doesn't have camera ? my SV came with one from the factory.
You have to get the VTP in order to get a backup camera and sonar... and a few other things. The VTP has to be added at the factory as the wiring for the electronics are not present once the truck has been built without it. Kinda strange that they dont have the wiring in place... I guess someone at Nissan did the research and determined that using a butt load of different wiring harnesses was cheaper in the long run than using the same exact one for every truck (obviously a different harness would need to be used for different trim levels and transmission).

I was bummed to find out the desert runner cant be bought with a VTP. But I added the camera and navigation after the fact.. Wasn't really that hard.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have the 2017 CC SV with the VTP and it appears to have the exact same HU you show in the first pic...the base HU.

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
Good place to mention that 6-sp SV come with VTP items as standard equip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought the base unit didnt have an LCD screen?

The base should just be a regular radio no screen, then you have the display audio system that can support a back up cam, and then there is the navigation head unit with or without amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You know it is strange that they didn't use the same harness on all the trucks. I have a 2015 SV with the standard XM radio unit, and am trying to read and learn how to do this project. I do know that my truck has the wiring for the fog lights in place in the factory harness even though it did not have the VTP. I would have to buy the kit with the correct blinker/light stem but hey at least the wiring is there. Would have been nice to have the correct back up camera wiring too. I do have a empty (not used) plug under the tailgate. It looks about like the same one used for four prong flat trailer lights but i know that one is on tbe left frame rail. I already put the tow hitch and harness on.
I didnt realize how much i needed a back up camera till i got this truck. Its a pain to tell the distace from another car when you back in.

Thanks
MG Miller

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
This harness should work for a 2015+

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
If you get a Camera without parking guidelines it will only have the lines from the stereo by default this is what it looks like

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,914 Posts
I know this thread has been sitting here a few months...

Contra, is all that you had to do was to plug that harness in-line to the radio, then run and hook up the wiring for power and signal to the camera?

I'm leaning towards adding an OEM camera to the tailgate latch. Between being unable to see the rear bumper in the side mirrors due to the fender flares and the especially poor turning radius I'm not enjoying the parking lot experience with my crewcab longbed.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
You have to trigger the harness and thus the stereo into knowing that it is in reverse
What I did was run a line from the reverse lights up the frame into the cab and into the harness
What I know other people have done was to pull the center console just above the shifter and tap in there

After you get the camera wired up into your cab then just plug it into the back of the harness here’s how I had to open up one wire on the harness to trigger the stereo

So what you want to do is tap into green wire that is right next to the blue one on the side the yellow RCA connection for your camera

I also used that same lead from the back up bulbs for the camera make sure and use some silicone to seal up where you cut the lines are use wire taps which made my life easier

The whole goal here is to make it look as factory as possible

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
20171226/0c83d8665347e1b7a5c5e4eb89ab13f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,914 Posts
You have to trigger the harness and thus the stereo into knowing that it is in reverse
What I did was run a line from the reverse lights up the frame into the cab and into the harness
What I know other people have done was to pull the center console just above the shifter and tap in there

After you get the camera wired up into your cab then just plug it into the back of the harness here’s how I had to open up one wire on the harness to trigger the stereo

So what you want to do is tap into green wire that is right next to the blue one on the side the yellow RCA connection for your camera

I also used that same lead from the back up bulbs for the camera make sure and use some silicone to seal up where you cut the lines are use wire taps which made my life easier

The whole goal here is to make it look as factory as possible
Awesome! Thanks for the additional information. I had been perusing the wiring diagrams and saw the in-reverse trigger signal line, figured something needed to be hooked up there.

I'm half-tempted to set it up to trigger two ways, one by putting the truck into reverse, and one where I can manually activate it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts