1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I want to add a 7 pin/4 pin adapter to my 4 pin flat towing harness. I plan to-

1. Buy this https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37185.html
2. Mount next to license plate so it doesn't hang down. I've seen that a few of you did it.
3. Plug in 4 pin, self-tapping ground screw.
4. Run 10-gauge wire and small inline 20A fuse to battery for 12V power. I don't have trailer brakes for my new '86 single axle camper.

And now my questions for y'all to double check-

I already have a subwoofer amp and Chinese light bar on my battery- Do I need a bigger battery? I don't use the light bar much and I'll only pull this trailer a few times a year.
I don't think I need that Auxiliary Wire for anything. Shall I leave it tied with the blue brake wire?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I like that accessory, go for it.

I was going to suggest changing over to a 7-pin, then using a plug in 7-pin to 4-pin converter, but I really don't like such converters. On Mrs. Cusser's Yukon I soldered-in a 7-pin to parallel the 6-pin she already had, when she upgraded to a newer horse trailer.

But for you, I do like that accessory. On my Frontier, I have a Hopkins socket kit that simply plugged into the Frontier harness, and I liked the quality.

Leave the blue trailer brake wire unconnected. The auxiliary wire is in case your trailer has stuff like an interior light.

I doubt that you'd need more battery capacity.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wouldn't think so. In my opinion your biggest concern should be if you are going to draw more than your alternator is producing. It doesnt sound like you are going to have an issue but without knowing the specs of the lightbar I can't be sure. I am also assuming you don't have a massive amp on the sub. More than likely you will be ok. Keep an eye on the charging meter in the truck and if you have one, check the charging rate with an external tester with everything on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts