Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as promised here is the write up.

Before attempting this please know that this is no small task, this will involve custom brackets to be fabricated to makeup for the difference between the Thai Navara, and US Frontier frames, you will also need to drill and tap holes in the frame rails, and hack up a bit of your grill, and splash guards. Do this at your own risk, it's not cheap, you need to have a large amount of patience, and if possible a buddy to share in your frustration and help hold things in place. This bumper weighs 130 lbs when fully assembled so it's a wee bit on the heavy side. So with all that being said, let's get into it...

Step 1
Order your bumper from Rhino4x4, the website link is below.
https://rhino4x4.com.ar/

The way I went about this is I just placed the order on the website, about a week later I got an email from Rhino4x4 letting me know the options (color, accessories, shipping etc.) After a few back and fourth emails I placed the order through the messages, payment is handled through a wire transfer MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE SENDING YOUR MONEY, this should go without saying but you are sending a good chunk of change halfway around the world. Do your research that where you are sending it is actually Rhino4x4 and not some random guy at a Denny's that's gonna take your money and run. you will never get it back. the company you should be sending your money should be registered as JED Industrias, in Cordoba Argentina. The messages should include a phone number as well so if you want to you can call to verify just to be extra sure.

Step 2

Wait for that sweet sweet package to arrive at your doorstep. all said and done it took about 3-4 weeks after I sent the payment off to receive the bumper. there is 2-3 weeks is fabrication time plus about a week or so shipping time. I'm sure different parts of the country will take different amounts of time to ship, I live in Oregon so just keep that in mind for where you live.

Step 3

Open the box and make sure everything is there, you should have received some instructions that should be in Spanish, and English. I went through and separated all the brackets, nuts, washers, and bolts into separate baggies, if you are missing anything I would contact Rhino4x4 immediately. Also make sure all the holes are drilled, the skid plate in my case was not pre-drilled for the mounting points, not the end of the world but it just adds time to the process.

7AED3D81-F896-400B-B39E-BE690061EB08.jpeg

Step 4

This one is optional. I took the side pieces and the skid plate to a body shop and had the side pieces color matched to the truck (Magnetic Black in my case) and the skid plate sprayed with bed liner.

Step 5

Figure out where and how you are going to remedy the mounting situation. this is the biggest hurdle in the whole process.

*A little History lesson.
Nissan sells these trucks all over the world, we know them as the Frontier, and most of the rest of the world knows these trucks as the Navara. Both trucks are mostly the same and even have the same chassis code (D40) but they have a few key differences from each other. Our Frontiers are made in Mississippi because of the chicken tax (if you don’t know what the chicken tax is look it up, it’s pretty interesting, it has nothing to do with chickens...well...anymore) The Navara is made in Thailand, Mexico, Brazil and Spain, because of this and also because diesel is a more popular fuel choice in more parts of the world over gasoline, the Navara is offered with a turbo diesel powertrain, the frame on these trucks is about 3 3/4” longer to accommodate for an inter-cooler for the turbo. The trucks we get here in the US (Frontier) are only offered with a 4 cyl or 6 cyl gasoline engine, so...no need for the intercooler which intern makes our frames a tiny bit shorter, so this is what you are trying to makeup for.

I live on the Oregon coast so I took my truck to Mac Welding in Mcminnville Oregon, I work Monday through Friday, and the could not leave the truck anywhere. They were able to work around my schedule, it took about 3 trips back and fourth over the course of a month and we got the brackets made, they cost about $250, and are made from 1/2” carbide steel

Regardless of where ever you take your truck to or if you decide to fab them yourself leave your self plenty of room to make adjustments, you will need to be able to move the mounts up, down, left, and right. Also keep in mind you will want these to hold up in the event of a crash so make them pretty stout...and also the bumper is 130lbs so there’s that too...
These are the mounts i had fabricated for mine
60292B13-BF6B-4A46-A446-9451CCE3FDB0.jpeg

Step 5.2

Get angry when you realize how much of a pain in the *** this actually is and ask yourself why you’re doing this in the first place when you had a perfectly good bumper to begin with and now your cutting things and drilling holes in your brand new truck that you’re still making payments on and wondering if this is voiding the warranty or not:unsure:

Step 6 (this one has multiple parts)

Remove your old bumper, grille, wheel well splash guards, mud flaps, skid plate, crash bar, and bumper mounting bracket. Set all of this aside as you will be re-using some of it.

your truck should look like this
6DB590BD-7D4D-44F1-B3E1-166292EFFF78.jpeg

Step 6.2

Now you can finally start building the bumper off of the instructions. Install your brackets onto the frame and complete steps 1-3 in the instruction booklet. Make sure to keep the bolts somewhat loose so you can still slide things around to make the necessary adjustments.
You’ll end up with something like this
E027C10F-77F4-4FAB-9D53-7AD5578EE06B.jpeg

Step 6.3

Once you reach step 4 in the booklet you will find that the winch braces don’t exactly fit, this is where you will need to mark, drill, and tap a hole, if possible get a tap the same thread size as the bolts that were provided, it just makes it easier if all the bolts are the same.

EE57D430-BFCA-4312-B49B-51733AC42667.jpeg

Step 6.4

Proceed through steps 5, and 6, these are some of the few step that actually go smoothly.

Step 6.5

This is step 7 in the instruction manual. move onto the side panel mount. This one is tricky. You’ll notice that the U bolts provided are too small to wrap around the frame as intended. At this point you’ve got 3 options

Option 1

You will need to source a larger U bolt from somewhere (Fastenal, or Cascade Nut & Bolt if you’re in the Pacific NW are good options) But this will only solve part of your problem, you will need to either bolt, or weld a new plate to the mounting bracket to make it possible to use the new larger U bolt.

Option 2

This one is not my favorite but I’ll list it anyways. Mark, drill, and tap the holes in the frame rails of the truck, it doesn’t sound too bad but I’m not a huge fan of drilling into the frame it you absolutely don’t need to.

Option 3

Try your luck and see how it goes without the bracket, I also wouldn’t recommend this but it’s pretty solid without this, but I wouldn’t trust it if you were to bump into something.

Step 7

Fog light time
One of my favorite thing about this bumper is that it comes with LED fog lights, the instructions for these are pretty straight forward, once you get the lights situated on the mounting brackets loosely fit them to the bumper. Fit the trim pieces over the fog lights with the lenses slightly poking out of the covers. once the lights are aligned tighten everything down and plug them in with the provided harnesses. The harnesses have an extra plug attached to Each of them, wrap the extra connection in waterproof tape and zip tie it up and out of the way, do this for both sides.

Step 8

Skid plate. This one is pretty straight forward as well, remove the lower bolts holding on the sway bar mounts, place the bracket here and reuse the old bolts, use the 4 provided Allen head bolts for the 4 front mounts, this is where I had to find and drill all of the mounting holes.

Step 9

Give everything a final adjustment if needed and tighten and double check all of the nuts and bolts everywhere

Step 10

On to the grille. The grille originally clipped into place at the bottom via plastic clips that fit into the old bumper. These mounts will have to go in order for the hood to close and the grille to line back up with everything. Grab a Dremmel, or a grinder and grind them off. The grille will now just be held in by the 6 plastic tabs on the top of the grille under the hood.

Step 11

The splash guards, these will need to be hacked up quite a bit as well if you want to keep them on which I suggest you do if you plan on driving in the rain, or if you don’t want water and mud throughout your engine bay. Place the guards back in the wheel well and make your marks, use a heavy duty pair of scissors or cutting tool of some sort to cut away the unneeded material.

Step 12

The license plate. This one may or may not work for you depending on if you’re running a winch or not, I am not, at least not yet. Remove the clips that hold the screws in place on the old bumper, you are going to be using these on the new bumper, place your license plate in the middle of the bumper and mark your holes. Drill the holes slightly larger than the screws to allow them to pass through to use the old mounting hardware, it should look something like the picture below
EC7E3C1D-1E14-4763-A936-D4AC21E47F03.jpeg

Step 13

You’re done! Now you can show all your buddy’s all your hard work and enjoy being one of the few in the US that has done this. and also try to explain the difference between the Navara and the Frontier to someone who has no idea when they ask why it’s taking you so long to put a bumper that isn't made for your truck (but sort of is) on your truck..lol

Your completed project should look something like this
B352D211-467F-465D-811F-1AEDE2276243.jpeg
F91F320A-4C20-4740-9DA6-DA3802BECC9A.jpeg
3CF306A9-78EA-42F4-B51B-79802CAA11F9.jpeg

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh Wow !! that looks awesome !!

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
i thinks that's the best murdered out black front end i've seen on a fronty so far!!!!!!! DOPE

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks good, glad you persevered and made it work!

How do you like those tires?
I'm considering switching to them next spring in 295/75R16

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the compliments! I’m pretty happy with the outcome, the more i look at it the more i like it. Im curious to see if anyone out there will try this as well, i did forget to include the pricing though so here it is

Price list:

Bumper including shipping $1550
Paint $250
Mounts $250
Keep in mind I installed this myself so if you pat someone to install it you’ll have to factor in labor too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good, glad you persevered and made it work!

How do you like those tires?
I'm considering switching to them next spring in 295/75R16
The tires are pretty awesome, i had to modify the wheel well guards to keep them from rubbing, but i took them out on a trail last week and they perform much better than the old tires, I bought the truck used and the dealer threw a set of new tires on to replace the old Hankook tires but they were cheap Sailun tires so I decided to upgrade them and throw a leveling kit on it as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gee Thanks Chance! Now everyone one is pointing and laughing at the wet spot on the front of my shorts!
:mad:
Lmao. Thx for the update! I've been following this since you were the first to jump all in on this project. It looks freaking awesome! Just wish I had the disposable income to make this happen. Any plans to add a winch in the future? Just curious.
(y)

·
Registered
558 Posts
... It looks freaking awesome! Just wish I had the disposable income to make this happen...
(y)
Right? My Ol’ Lady would kick my a$$ & stomp all over my dangly bits that she chopped off years ago & keeps locked in a box.

I really really like this, though.

Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awww C- 😢 I assume you’re referring to the gap between the fenders/headlights and the bumper, it’s hard to tell in the pictures (and also because everything is black) but there are rubber seals that go between those gaps that require about a 1/2” gap to to fit the seals. most likely to keep everything from rubbing metal on metal. I can assure you i spent days getting the fitment just right, As for the winch, maybe down the road, I’m still debating on the next project with this truck, plus i gotta start saving money for what ever it will be

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gee Thanks Chance! Now everyone one is pointing and laughing at the wet spot on the front of my shorts!
:mad:
Lmao. Thx for the update! I've been following this since you were the first to jump all in on this project. It looks freaking awesome! Just wish I had the disposable income to make this happen. Any plans to add a winch in the future? Just curious.
(y)
Just start saving your pennies! and sorry about the stain in your shorts😂

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Awww C- 😢 I assume you’re referring to the gap between the fenders/headlights and the bumper, it’s hard to tell in the pictures (and also because everything is black) but there are rubber seals that go between those gaps that require about a 1/2” gap to to fit the seals. most likely to keep everything from rubbing metal on metal. I can assure you i spent days getting the fitment just right
Actually it'snot hard to tell in the pictures.
I don't want to be nitpicky, it's not my truck. But if you want me to I will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts