Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing Craigslist and saw and ad for a Curt RV hitch, built to accommodate RV frame widths up to 72". It was only a Class III hitch up to 3500#, but in looking at Curt's product line they also have one that's 68" wide and is rated up to 5000#. Stick-out for the receiver is around 8". The cross tube seems to be the same dimensions as the receiver tube, so 2-7/16". For an RV it's designed for he ends to be slipped over the cross tube, bolted to the frame, the cross tube centered, then holes drilled to attach the cross tube to the ends.

I'm wondering about using at least the cross tube as the basis for a rear bumper. the ends would stick out far past the truck frame on either side, but that might mean that those ends would be a good place to come off of for something like a swing-out spare tire carrier or fuel can holder, and perhaps some lighter material could be attached to the cross tube to act as the appearance of a bumper sticking out further to the truck.

This is a side view of what I am thinking.

Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

Position of the 6" by 4" piece TBD, but it would basically abut the cross tube (left square) and the reciver tube would stick out past it.

·
Premium Member
2012 Crew Cab S 4x4,
466 Posts
that's thinking outside the box, looks like something I would attempt, post if you do it,

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had considered doing something similar when I built the rear bumper/swing-out for my XJ Cherokee, but didn't see a good way to keep it tucked up and out of the way, which may not be a concern for you. Those ends could also be used for some removable mud flaps for when you're towing to protect the front of your trailer.

I ended up incorporating the hitch into the bumper itself, using all of the factory bumper bolts plus those used to mount the OEM receiver hitch. I actually slid the mounts - made from 2x3x1/4" tube - inside the unibody rails so nothing hung down, and it would have ripped the back of the Jeep off before the hitch broke.:D I bought the receiver tube off Amazon, cut the hole in the face of the bumper so it didn't stick down, and used 1/4" plate welded to the bottom for the chain attachment - that was the only thing that was below the bottom of the bumper.

The biggest issue with building your own bumper/hitch is that you won't be able to rent a trailer from U-Haul or similar places as it is not "rated." I wasn't concerned about that, and had planned on buying a pop-up camper to tow behind the XJ, so the ability to drag 6000-plus pounds wasn't a concern for my build.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the Curt hitch that I would be starting with:

Rectangle Font Gadget Automotive exterior Toy

that cross tube is roughly 68" wide.

The biggest issue with building your own bumper/hitch is that you won't be able to rent a trailer from U-Haul or similar places as it is not "rated."
Depending on how the sticker is placed on this thing, that might be fairly easily overcome.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really.

From Dezert Runner's webpage:

HIGH CLEARANCE REAR PLATE BUMPER
Details: This rear plate bumper is only available for the Nissan Frontier (2nd gen). It is constructed of 3/16“, 1018 cold roll steel flat bar. It is extremely strong for its size. There is a nice spot for your license plate to mount with holes to accommodate your stock license plate lighting. It is 100% bolt-on for easy installation. There is no drilling or welding required. Hitches can not be added to this bumper. Bare metal only (not painted)
That looks more like a rollpan on steroids to me. Tucks up nice and tight though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts