Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Congrats on your new '18!
~ I don't think I could (literally) step-up to a larger truck either.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So I went ahead and talked the insurance into totaling the truck. In the end, I just didn't want to have to worry about issues cropping up for the next ~9 years I originally planned on holding on to the truck. The initial quote to repair the truck was $13,000 to replace the bed and frame, but that was with used parts. I said that given how new the vehicle was I really wanted brand new parts if they repaired it and that I would rather just total the vehicle and be done with it, and the insurance went ahead and totaled it.

I'm still trying to decide between a 2018 Pro4X Frontier and a 2017 Pro4X Titan. If anyone has any recommendations on aftermarket Titan bumpers and step rails, and any MPG numbers I would love to hear them. Also, are there any other forums besides TitanTalk and ClubTitan? Neither seem nearly as active as ClubFrontier...

I know in theory the solid steel bumper should mean more energy transferred to my body, but I really barely felt a thing, while the woman who hit me had her airbag deploy. I wonder if the steel bumper didn't end up transferring more energy to her vehicle.

Keep in mind that there were no skid marks or anything and I was stopped. She didn't slow down much if at all and the speed limit on that road is 50mph. Her car was definitely totaled, and I'm actually surprised how little damage she did to me considering the speed.
I had a Titan from 2004 to 2017, 13 years and 220,000 miles, the Titan engine and trans are fantastic. It still was running very good after 13 years.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,653 Posts
If you think about it the bumper is bolted to the frame so the frame rails took the whole shot directly. The factory bumper would have collapsed and absorbed some energy. No matter what you here and we’ll and on to your next ride. Either of your choices are excellent ones. Good luck to you.

Clint
If you compare what happened to Manzellaj's stock truck with Wintermute's aftermarket rear bumper, I don't think it would really make much difference.

Just bought my '15 CC LWB lightly used a couple of weeks ago, rear bumper already bent, probably from the previous owner backing into something. Bumper bent at the bracket and lightly contacted the box, enough to leave a crease at the back and on the bottom corner of the quarter. With a simple come-along and a small hand sledgehammer we were able to pull the bumper and bang it back next to the license plate to get it 90% fixed in about ten minutes, took longer to figure out how to attach the come-along than to do the straightening. Either way the factory bumper isn't terribly strong, I'm leaning myself toward aftermarket so all of the little dings and bumps don't deform it. Seems that if I get rear-ended hard it won't matter either way, but if it gets kissed from time to time or drops onto something offroad it would be better protected aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
11,068 Posts
On a light hit you’re correct it can take it but any decent shot goes straight to the frame.
Enjoy the new truck, long beds are great, they ride better too.

Clint

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
If the repair cost is more than 50% of vehicle value, they will more than likely total it. Hope no one was injured. Vehicles can be repaired or replaced
I believe they use the 75-80% threshold.

Clint
Yeah, Clint is pretty much right. My wife's Buick, the first accident, book value was $16,500. Initial damage estimates were $7,500, in the end it was $9,200 and Esurance still fixed it.

This morning someone hit me at a stop light. She was going almost full speed, and messed my rear end up pretty badly. The frame, exhaust, and the entire bed need to be replaced at the very least. This is just a month after I put a Shrock rear bumper on too.

The truck just barely hit 15,000 miles, so it's practically brand new. There's not much chance I can find a used replacement if the insurance company decides to total it. :crying:

I see three options here:

1. Push to have it repaired. Definitely won't cost me anything, but I'm not sure I would ever trust the truck again. Every little thing will scare the crap out of me from here on out.

2. Push to have it totaled and buy a new Frontier. My only fear here is that this is going to set me back a few grand because the insurance company is going to try to depreciate my truck even though there is exactly one used 2017 Frontier for sale in SoCal that I can find.

3. Push to have it totaled and buy a Titan. There are some great deals on 2017 Titans at the moment, and the gas mileage is just as good as the Frontier. My only fear here is that it's a relatively new generation, and the early 2nd gen Frontier seem to have had more than their fair share of bugs to work out.

If you were me, what would you do?
Congrats on your 2018 Frontier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This morning someone hit me at a stop light. She was going almost full speed, and messed my rear end up pretty badly. The frame, exhaust, and the entire bed need to be replaced at the very least. This is just a month after I put a Shrock rear bumper on too.

The truck just barely hit 15,000 miles, so it's practically brand new. There's not much chance I can find a used replacement if the insurance company decides to total it. :crying:

I see three options here:

1. Push to have it repaired. Definitely won't cost me anything, but I'm not sure I would ever trust the truck again. Every little thing will scare the crap out of me from here on out.

2. Push to have it totaled and buy a new Frontier. My only fear here is that this is going to set me back a few grand because the insurance company is going to try to depreciate my truck even though there is exactly one used 2017 Frontier for sale in SoCal that I can find.

3. Push to have it totaled and buy a Titan. There are some great deals on 2017 Titans at the moment, and the gas mileage is just as good as the Frontier. My only fear here is that it's a relatively new generation, and the early 2nd gen Frontier seem to have had more than their fair share of bugs to work out.

If you were me, what would you do?

I'm going through the same thing now! My 2016 pro4x with 8500 miles took a front drivers side hit on an angle in November. Body shop says the frame has to be replaced along with a bunch of othe stuff. Airbags, fender, driver seat, etc. estimate is coming up on 17,000 and USAA is going to pay it and fix the truck!!! I can't believe it! I thought/wanted it to be totaled. I have to appeal it somehow.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts