Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the AC shackles from 4x4parts.com Friday afternoon came in Tuesday. They stated 3-5 business days so I thought that was pretty fast shipping. Cost was $64.95 plus 12.94 S&H.

Put them on today. No instructions came with the shackles but the install was pretty easy if you have the right tools. The same shackles fit all the 05-06 models eventhough they stated 4X4 only. Since I haven't seen any writeups on these shackles, here's how I installed them.

You'll need to put a jack (truck size) under the bumper area. I have a hitch so I used that as my lifting point. Jack it up enough to take the weight off. The nuts were hard to break loose. Once you get the stackles off, then unbolt the rear shocks at the bottom.

Now you will need to jack the back end up about 2.5' or more. I used a block to get the rear up about 3'.

Slide the steel inserts in the bushings and install the AC shackles. Helps to put some WD40 on the bushings, the shackles are a tight fit at the top. Reattach the shocks and tighten. Leave shackles loose until you remove the jack, then tighten shackle bolts. Finished it off with some flat black on the bolt heads and nuts.

The rear wheel opening at the top was about 34.5" from the ground, now measures 36.5". They stated the stackles would provide only 1.5" of lift but it's closer to 2". It does make the front end dip about a 1/2" so spacers would be nice up front. The ride quality did not seem to change at all. I think it looks much better this way than stock but now the rear is screaming for bigger tires! On my wish list.

Here's some pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Nice work. Can I ask why just a rear lift? Also how about a pic of the hole truck?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mike.

Just wanted to get the rear up to help level out my trailer so it's not dipping forward and of course for larger tires in the future. I'll be getting the coil spacers up front next just didn't get them yet.

I'm going out of town today for a week. Can post some more pics later.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update with pics

Got about 200 miles since the install and no problems to report. I believe it actually rides better now than it did. I like the looks and probably won't go with the coil spring spacers as I had planned. Could change my mind if I decide on larger tires up front. I'm looking at putting BFG AT 285s or 295s (33s) on rear and leaving 265s up front. Beside not being able to rotate them any other problems with doing that? Any thoughts?

Here's the measurements from the ground to these center points:

Rear wheel opening - 36 3/8"
Front wheel opening - 34 1/2"
Rear bumper - 19 7/8"

Some more pics too:

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nismo54,

How does the rear lift affect your headlight aim at night? I ask because I'm already tall and I've had to compensensate for night driving (just slouching lower in the seat). Still the 'normal' stance on a LE 4X4 strikes me as forward tilted. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure, I haven't driven at night since I put them on. Will check it as soon as it gets dark.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
You'll need to put a jack (truck size) under the bumper area. I have a hitch so I used that as my lifting point. Jack it up enough to take the weight off. The nuts were hard to break loose. Once you get the stackles off, then unbolt the rear shocks at the bottom.

Now you will need to jack the back end up about 2.5' or more. I used a block to get the rear up about 3'.
So you jack the rear up under the trailer hitch, unbolt everything, then jack the "back end"up... by back end do you mean use another jack to jack up the axle or just jack up the truck even further.

Also, are you still enjoying the shackles. Are they working fine with your factory shocks and brake lines?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bwarren228 said:

So you jack the rear up under the trailer hitch, unbolt everything, then jack the "back end"up... by back end do you mean use another jack to jack up the axle or just jack up the truck even further.

Also, are you still enjoying the shackles. Are they working fine with your factory shocks and brake lines?
Yeah, just one jack under the hitch (you'll need a truck jack and maybe a block). Lift it up a little at first and take the bolts out of the shackles and lower bolts on shocks, then lift it up to install the AC shackles (has to go up about 3' to get the lower bolt holes in the shackles and leaf springs to line up). Then lower the jack down, reinstall the shocks and tighten nuts on shackles.

I really like the look now, didn't like the stock look (mine was lower in the back but I do have the bed full of tools). I think it actually rides better now. The shocks seem to be fine and the brake lines still have plenty of slack in them.

I never did answer about the lights, I'm sure it effects it some but I really can't tell any difference.

Hopefully that helps, if not let me know.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found this on TitanTalk...where a guy's stock shackles broke after some hard driving. I searched all the other forums and this is the only mention of it I could find so it might have been an isolated incident. Something to think about for the serious offroaders. I'd never thought of the stock shackles failing but had heard and was told that these from AC were safer than blocks and would help beef up the rear end for offroading.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...led-rear-shackle-leaf-spring-through-bed.html

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
It says bushings not included. What is that all about? Do you reuse the stockers? Also Ive heard if you dont have shims installed it is possible to get vibration. Have you noticed this any or is it riding smoothly. I had almost decided on getting the 2" blocks, but then I went offroading tonight and i thihk the shackles would be the safer way to go.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bwarren228 said:
It says bushings not included. What is that all about? Do you reuse the stockers? Also Ive heard if you dont have shims installed it is possible to get vibration. Have you noticed this any or is it riding smoothly. I had almost decided on getting the 2" blocks, but then I went offroading tonight and i thihk the shackles would be the safer way to go.
You'll need to reuse the stock bushings but everything else is included. I haven't noticed any vibrations and the ride is still smooth, not sure about the shims.

When I was discussing what my best lift options would be (AC didn't know whether their shackles would fit a 4x2 or not which they will) I do remember them telling me they had gotten complains about their blocks causing some vibrations but none from their shackles or add-a-leafs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts