Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SE 175K 6 speed

I accidentally open AC when I replaced head gasket last year. Refrigerant escaped.

AC not working as result.
Tried to add with a can of Arctic Freeze. But system is not taking can.

Compressor is not turning on.

Without a vacuum pump is their a way to add the freon?

I figure if I can get the compressor on this would work but I'm not sure.

AC worked fine prior to my mistake.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
2006 SE 175K 6 speed

I accidentally open AC when I replaced head gasket last year. Refrigerant escaped.

AC not working as result.
Tried to add with a can of Arctic Freeze. But system is not taking can.

Compressor is not turning on.

Without a vacuum pump is their a way to add the freon?

I figure if I can get the compressor on this would work but I'm not sure.

AC worked fine prior to my mistake.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Check your relay! That is the cheapest and easiest thing to check and replace if needed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the system was opened you will not be able to use a refill can from the store. You will need to have it purged from condensation and air. The clutch is not turning on because the system is empty. Without the tools I would suggest a pro to refill.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
If the system was opened you will not be able to use a refill can from the store. You will need to have it purged from condensation and air. The clutch is not turning on because the system is empty. Without the tools I would suggest a pro to refill.

Totally agree.

·
Registered
308 Posts

This. Plus it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the A/C dryer since it wasn't properly evacuated, meaning there's likely moisture in there.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
When my cage was built, the had to release the freon.
Took it to my old friend's shop. Did all that stuff. Don't know what they charge but I know it was more than$50 , what I tipped his worker.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Wow!! Glad I got friend's in high places!
I want to put a lot of my friend's shops stickers on my truck for helping me out. They just don't have them.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Wow!! Glad I got friend's in high places!
I want to put a lot of my friend's shops stickers on my truck for helping me out. They just don't have them.
$250 isn't bad, sarcasm.
I had the system in my house refilled with R-22 and the bill was $656 for the gas, major ouch.
In this situation best left to a pro shop.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
There is a group of us who help each other out. Brake and alignment shop, body and fender, welders, general mechanic( did my air) tranny shop owner,sheet metal , radio / electronic,etc.
I am the groups machinist and one of the fab guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for responses.

Makes sense as I must of lost much more refrigerant than I thought.

Seen this vid

I'm going to see if I can a loaner on the gauges. I think I should be able to.
The pump from Harbour Freight with 20% off is like $75-$80

I'll attempt to DIY it 1st and hopefully have success :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks for responses.

Makes sense as I must of lost much more refrigerant than I thought.

Seen this vid

I'm going to see if I can a loaner on the gauges. I think I should be able to.
The pump from Harbour Freight with 20% off is like $75-$80

I'll attempt to DIY it 1st and hopefully have success :)
There is a cheap air powered vacuum pump that you can get from Harbor Freight or Amazon that costs about $20. All you need is that and an a/c refrigerant hose with a gauge and you can easily evac the system and check for leaks once you get your components replaced. Once you confirm that the system is evacuated and there are no leaks, it should take refrigerant. I did this process to my son's Altima, and the a/c is running great. There is a video on this on YouTube.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
The big thing is having the correct amount of coolant. Too much, and it won't run either. Too little, and it can cause other issues, like engine stalling at idle.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
To little refrigerant will not cause your engine to stall at idle or any other time. To little refrigerant and your ac comp won't kick in.

·
Registered
795 Posts
To little refrigerant will not cause your engine to stall at idle or any other time. To little refrigerant and your ac comp won't kick in.
Sure it will. I speak from experience. The low pressure of the coolant was over-torquing the engine when the ac kicked in at idle. It was enough to lower the RPMs and cause a stall.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Where is Cusser?

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Sure it will. I speak from experience. The low pressure of the coolant was over-torquing the engine when the ac kicked in at idle. It was enough to lower the RPMs and cause a stall.
That's not how that works. It's a simple pump with an electrically controlled clutch. It's either free wheeling or engaged and pumping. If it was causing the engine to stall, the compressor was the issue.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The issue with low coolant is that it makes the compressor short cycle. The PCM can't figure out wtf is going on and doesn't react to the idle dropping before the engine stalls.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Well, that makes more sense, but still..
Kind of sucks when your vehicle is inoperable because the air doesn't work. If you shut the air off, it should run, right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts