Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellows and gals,

I have a 2002 Frontier XE with a crew cab. My AC has not been pumping out as much these days and I need to channel my inner Fonzie and be "cool" again.

Last year when I bought the truck, the dealer re-charged the AC and it worked like a dream. Do I just need to re-charge it or is there anything crucial I need to look at? I notice that lately when I use the AC and stop the vehicle, there is quite a bit of water underneath the vehicle. MY guess is that its condensation.

The local auto parts place sells a do it yourself AC recharger kit. Is this worth doing? If I do it, what precautions do I need to take safety-wise?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If the dealer had to charge it, then there is a leak somewhere. So it would seem reasonable to deduct that it needs freon again.

You can choose just to recharge it as needed, or have the leak fixed. A leakless AC system should run for years or even decades without service.

The recharge kits come with very cheap gauges & hoses that aren't much good for more than a single use. I don't know if they still sell the can with just a hose, but that's the route I'd take. If you hear the compressor kicking on & off rapidly, you've overcharged the system.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Check the hose from the ac compressor to the condenser (the one that runs up by the radiator). Look at the crimps on that line. If you see an oily build up around the crimps on the rubber part of the line it's leaking there. this is a very common place for them to leak. You can replace this part yourself if it's the problem and then take it to just about any shop and have them vacuum it down and propely recharge it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Find out if there really is a leak or not. I will bet you don´t have a any leaks unless you damaged a hose.

Is is cooling but not all that well? If so read this post and my comments.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/c-only-working-half-time-47344/

The part I talk about is thermal amplifier and its a part that fails on all 1st gen frontiers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts