Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought used in March 2019. AC needed a charge. Did that.
AC clutch intermittent engage. Changed out thermo amplifier behind glove box. Not solved.
Changed compressor relay. Not solved.
Blows cold when engaged. Light for interior/max AC button works. Light for AC on off doesn't work. I was thinking is a light bulb ssue and not related.
Engages for 5-6 minutes and then disengages. Will suddenly come on when driving and then disengage again. Fuses all good. Blower good.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Carla - you need to check - when the AC compressor clutch is NOT engaged - if the AC clutch is receiving positive voltage with engine and AC switched on. One can carefully tap on the center of the AC clutch with a broom handle or piece of wood and see if the clutch then engages (be aware of dangerous rotating parts and belts). In my case I actually wired up a light in parallel to the AC clutch so it would light when the AC clutch was getting power.

So- if so - what's the fix? On my 1998, just last Wednesday I adjusted the AC clutch gap by removing a spacer shim, see https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/ac-clutch-shim-adjustment.358013/

Some have jury-rigged a way to reduce the gap by inserting wires into the AC clutch end plate springs to lessen the gap.

·
Super Moderator
3,389 Posts
Try tapping on the pressure switch, first. If you do and the clutch kicks in, replace the switch. You could also have a weak clutch coil or even an intermittent open in the circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts