Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor locked up and I need to change it. I ordered the kit from the geek. When I got it I noticed there was only one wire going to the clutch. The original has that and one on the back that both go to the plugin. It cost me $48 to send it back. I decided to get one at the local auto part but the only one they have is rebuilt. Has anybody ran into this on a 1998?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I've only replaced the compressor on my 2004, not on my 1998. I wonder if that second wire is a ground wire. Maybe I can check on my 1998 tomorrow.

By the way, since your compressor locked up, I STRONGLY recommend that you also replace the condenser and the drier. Modern parallel flow condensers cannot be flushed properly, by their design. Also: don't add any sealers or refrigerant with sealers, and backflush the high pressure lines with solvent.

Reactions: butterman2473

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Let me know about your 98 when you get a chance. Do you know of any good vids on the flushing process?

·
Registered
979 Posts
By the way, since your compressor locked up, I STRONGLY recommend that you also replace the condenser and the drier.
Many new or reman compressors have NO warranty unless other components are replaced, as Cusser pointed out.
Here is the requirement from AdvanceAutoParts.com:
---------------------------------
A/C Compressors Limited Lifetime Warranty
Thank you for the purchase of your A/C compressor from Advance Auto Parts. When properly installed, we trust you will get excellent service from this unit. In order for your warranty to be valid, you must follow the installation instructions carefully. Failure to follow those instructions may void your warranty and greatly increase the possibility of failure of your compressor.
  1. With every compressor replacement, the system must be flushed thoroughly with the proper flush solvent or provide a receipt showing it was professionally done.
  2. Also, the receiver dryer or accumulator must be replaced.
  3. If your vehicle is equipped with an orifice tube, you must replace it as well.
  4. Vehicles equipped with expansion valves require that they be checked and cleaned if necessary, they do not have to be replaced to validate the warranty.
  5. Once the system is flushed, and the new parts are installed, the system should then be evacuated, then recharged with the proper amount of refrigerant and oil. Please retain all receipts for this repair.
All these things are covered in your installation instructions.

Remanufactured compressors are warranted for a period of 1 year from original purchase date provided the required parts are replaced, orifice tube and receiver dryer or accumulator.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Thanks for the info. Let me know about your 98 when you get a chance.
I've only replaced the compressor on my 2004, not on my 1998. I wonder if that second wire is a ground wire. Maybe I can check on my 1998 tomorrow.

By the way, since your compressor locked up, I STRONGLY recommend that you also replace the condenser and the drier. Modern parallel flow condensers cannot be flushed properly, by their design. Also: don't add any sealers or refrigerant with sealers, and backflush the high pressure lines with solvent.
Thanks for the info. Let me know about your 98 when you get a chance.
OK, just checked my 1998's compressor, it also has the wires at the rear of compressor. Looks like that's called a thermal protector, and this is all the 1998 official service manual says about that:

Do you know of any good vids on the flushing process?
I bought an aerosol can of AC solvent at O'Reilly, has a tapered rubber stopper to fit into the line, and let all the gunk come out the unattached high pressure line where it connects to the compressor. Then blew compressed air to force out and dry all the solvent before connecting with new green AC O-rings.

Here is what the original compressor with switch looks like

To me, it looks like later years did without this switch. The switch likely is "normally closed", and opened when the temperature of the compressor got too high, and was decided not to be a critical part.

If you don't have the downloaded official 1998 manual, PM me with your E-mail address and I'll E-mail the Heating/AC chapter.

·
Registered
Great truck
851 Posts
I always run as high a percentage alcohol through with compressed air and then reoil and refill

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yep, on the left, and no special equipment needed to use it, other than air supply to backflush it out of the lines. Modern condensers are parallel, so cannot be readily flushed like old-style serpentine condensers. So condensers should be replaced when a compressor seizes, but not really a necessity if the compressor has a seal leak or bad electric clutch.

And the brand-new compressor and condenser for my 2004 Frontier did not come with O-rings, and I couldn't (then) find my bag of green refrigeration O-rings, so I had to buy a package of O-rings for it like that above. My condenser came with the new drier attached.

Note that in the photo above that the R134a is pure, and contains NO SEALANTS. Never add anything with sealant !!!
And like I used, he shows PAG oil with the UV dye already in it, recommend that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info. Let me know about your 98 when you get a chance. Do you know of any good vids on the flushing process?
I have been working with a 98 I bought the other day and the one thing I know is powering the one wire kicks in the compressor. I guess its using the body as a ground.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Rockauto has A/C compressor component kits with the two-wire type compressors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been working with a 98 I bought the other day and the one thing I know is powering the one wire kicks in the compressor. I guess its using the body as a ground.
Thanks for the info. I found out from other members that the back wire is a thermostat to avoid over heating. At this point I'm just having problems locating one. Even the remans are out of stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, on the left, and no special equipment needed to use it, other than air supply to backflush it out of the lines. Modern condensers are parallel, so cannot be readily flushed like old-style serpentine condensers. So condensers should be replaced when a compressor seizes, but not really a necessity if the compressor has a seal leak or bad electric clutch.

And the brand-new compressor and condenser for my 2004 Frontier did not come with O-rings, and I couldn't (then) find my bag of green refrigeration O-rings, so I had to buy a package of O-rings for it like that above. My condenser came with the new drier attached.

Note that in the photo above that the R134a is pure, and contains NO SEALANTS. Never add anything with sealant !!!
And like I used, he shows PAG oil with the UV dye already in it, recommend that.
I was just wondering if the compressor with one wire would plug in and work properly.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I was just wondering if the compressor with one wire would plug in and work properly.
I would think it would work fine.

Most likely very high heat opens the circuit, so as long as the two leads there connect to a tied-up thermostat (for example: cable ties), or are connected together, should work just like on my 2004 Frontier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts