Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY ABS and Slip light came on the other night at the same time. i tried yesterday to get my truck into 4wd and the front diff lights kept blinking...any clue what's going on?
btw...'07 crew nismo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm assuming you played with it a little bit? Put the truck in N, turn to high range, wait a few, maybe reverse a few feet, then foward and so on? Sometimes they can be sticky, but they'll go in.

Were you in 4x4 or 2wd when your slip light + ABS light came on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i just left my brothers house and about 10 minutes into the drive, the lights came on.

it was two days later when i tried to get it into 4wd. i tried neutral, park, pulling forward a little...nothing :(

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
there is a good chance that you have a damaged or dirty abs sensor on one of your wheels that isn't getting a good reading. when the abs system sees a problem the abs and slip lights will come on and you will not be able to shift into 4wd since it can't confirm that all wheels are spinning the same direction at the same speed. if your under warranty i'd take it in but i'm guessing with you being an 07 that your probably out of your bumper to bumper warranty. you may want to start with cleaning your abs sensors and tone rings. hopefully mustard will chime in here he has alot of experience with damaging the abs system and stuff like this from off roading. but for sure the reason 4wd is not working is because of the abs system having a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV4x4, CCLB, Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, Pro4X wheels, power rear-slider mod, Bambi-mode
227 Posts
I (2004 frontier) jusssst had my ABS light come on while driving in the snow (dirty sensor?) in 4WD. Stopped, shut engine, jiggled wires at ABS block, restarted. Still on. Then went about 200 yards and went and stayed out.

WTF???

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV4x4, CCLB, Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, Pro4X wheels, power rear-slider mod, Bambi-mode
227 Posts
And just plugged in scanner. No codes... Again, WTF?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my '05. A normal code reader or code reading software for a lappy evidently won't read the ABS codes. I found some stuff doing a google search where you can get the ABS codes via a blinking light like the OBDI stuff. I know I'm not very happy since I'm sitting here in 4 feet of snow and no 4wd. I would realy like to see an easy way to bypass the ABS check so the 4wd will engage. How silly is it for the 4wd system to rely on working ABS?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my '05. A normal code reader or code reading software for a lappy evidently won't read the ABS codes. I found some stuff doing a google search where you can get the ABS codes via a blinking light like the OBDI stuff. I know I'm not very happy since I'm sitting here in 4 feet of snow and no 4wd. I would realy like to see an easy way to bypass the ABS check so the 4wd will engage. How silly is it for the 4wd system to rely on working ABS?
I agree. But, you can always wire power directly to the T-case shift relay(s) with a dash switch--- so you can shift regardless of what the computer wants to do.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
How silly is it for the 4wd system to rely on working ABS?
if you understood how this 4wd system worked with ABLS and traction control it would make perfect sense.

To the OP: bad ABS sensor I bet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree. But, you can always wire power directly to the T-case shift relay(s) with a dash switch--- so you can shift regardless of what the computer wants to do.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 1st gens do not have an electric means of shifting the transfer case. It is a direct lever on the floor. The ABS light/malfunction only affects the brakes, so could go in and out of 4wd. Fortunate, as VERY slippery - we ended up getting a total of 29 inches in the last two storms (only a few days apart) and expecting more on Monday night...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did the ABS bypass that is posted on USMC exterra2nd gen update he has good pics. and directions and it works, drove down my very muddy road applied the brakes and could feel the ABS pulsate flip my bypass toggle did it again no pulsating all wheels locked. I was hesitant to do this but I and my wife went riding in AL near her parents on a hill I had to back down toward a lake and put on brakes it began to pulsate not stop! That made up my mind I got way to close to the water. Thanks for the post USMC.

·
Registered
227 Posts
grizzz54: Can you post the link to the ABS bypass? Is that for 1st or 2nd gen?

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts