Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this past week my truck has been acting up a bit. Starts up fine and all, but after a few light brakes the anti lock kicks in when it should not be. It does that a couple more times when I lightly brake and then the ABS and SLIP lights turn on and it runs fine. When I turn the truck on and off it all stats all over again....any ideas on what may be happening?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem on that is, just wanted to say that the same thing happens on my girlfriends 08 Xterra. Lucky me, my 04 Fronty don't have none of em fancy Limited slip diff/ Traction control technology. lol. Let me know though on your findings with this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my truck did that and there was some ABS sensor that they replaced under warranty. but it was frustrating because sometimes the light went away when you turned the truck off. Finally i was near my dealership when it happened and took the truck there when it was still running and they pulled the code. They took care of it no problem but it was just a little pain in the ***

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^I was afraid of that....I am 8K miles over my warranty. I hope it is a simple fix

·
Registered
244 Posts
Check you're front sensor lines. Had the same problem with mine. The left front tire was rubbing the cable and wore through the jacket. Everytime moisture got in, it would act up. Finally failed completely. I patched with aftermarket cable and connectors (about $20). OEM requires complete sensor replacement, they're expensive.

I think it's pretty common with the lift spindles, due to the cables not having anywhere to mount properly (they're too short).

The rear lines can get overextended quite easily too, especially with lift blocks and longer shocks. Wouldn't hurt to check them as well.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check you're front sensor lines. Had the same problem with mine. The left front tire was rubbing the cable and wore through the jacket. Everytime moisture got in, it would act up. Finally failed completely. I patched with aftermarket cable and connectors (about $20). OEM requires complete sensor replacement, they're expensive.

I think it's pretty common with the lift spindles, due to the cables not having anywhere to mount properly (they're too short).

The rear lines can get overextended quite easily too, especially with lift blocks and longer shocks. Wouldn't hurt to check them as well.
Will def give them a check tomorrow, thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you need it, I'm looking into putting some ABS extension kits together. I've got connectors lined up, but I've been too lazy to hunt down the best cable type. I just used Belden 2 wire on the one I repaired, but Belden's not known for flexing well for long. Especially around oil.

I'm thinking the cost to add the extensions should run about $50 for each axle, at whatever length you decide on. A lot cheaper than replacing sensors that aren't actually damaged, but just need new cables.

Jim

BTW the Nissan connectors can be a real PITA to disconnect. The way they're designed lets dirt pack inside the release tab and glue the male and female bodies together. The Delphi connectors I found seal the connector at the joint so dirt can't get in. If you keep the Nissan connectors, pack them with Vaseline or silicone gel (spark plug boot grease) to keep the dirt out. Do the same to the E-locker harness. Makes life easier down the road.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man! I finally have some time this weekend to take a look at the sensors, had a busier week than expected.
I'll let you know if they are shot

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my sensors look fine, no sign of any wear from my tires. Now I'm stumped again :comphead:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you stopped in at autozone,advanced,napa,kragens,etc... to see if they could pull any codes?

Might be worth a shot.
Yeah I'll try that out also, but my scangauge didn't pick up any codes....I may end up taking off my tires and seeing how my brakes are looking.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you stopped in at autozone,advanced,napa,kragens,etc... to see if they could pull any codes?

Might be worth a shot.
Good luck with that. The only scanners that I know that'll pull the internal ABS codes are Auterra and Nissan's Consult II. The ABS system isn't required by the EPA to be scannable under the OBD II specification. The main diagnostic will just show an error in the ABS.

There might be others, not sure though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts