Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read countless threads and posts over the past couple of days on the abs shut off mods you can do and the side effects such as transfer case indicator shutting off, 4wd, ebrake, abs lights coming on and all that. the only effect i'm wondering about is how it is said that an auto tranny will not shift when you have the abs ecu switched off since the tranny's computer needs info from those sensors to decide when to shift. my question is for people with auto fronty's that have tried this: is there no way to shift at all or does the tranny just not shift when in the drive position. is it possible to shift by moving the shifter from 1 to 2 to 3 ... ect or does it just stay in 1st no matter what? i have an auto and have already felt the wrath of abs not letting you stop as fast as you could on mud or loose ground and would like to avoid this problem with the mod. thanks in advance for your replies i know this is prob a subject most of you are tired of talking about.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i started working on the bypass switch today. i made my fuse taps and soldered them on to a couple of long wires one with my fuse holder just after the fuse tap. i also soldered so short leads on my switch with quick disconnects on them so the switch could easily be used for something else if i decide down the line that i don't want to have the switched abs bypass anymore. Its pretty much been raining all day so i haven't been able to start putting any of this in the truck but i did pull the fuse and take it for a quick spin and as we all know a few things happen. 4x4, slip, abs, brake lights all came on and the 4wd indicator shut off along with the speedo not working. my trip odometer stayed on but did not change the whole drive. it also felt like the wot limiter was off which made things fun in the rain. one thing that didn't happen that alot of people said would happen was that the auto tranny did go through all the gears just fine in the drive position so it would seem that it does still get some signal from the rings to know when to shift. i have some pics that i'll put up in a bit of the switch and wires and hopefully tomorrow i'll have the switch mounted and all working.

·
Registered
384 Posts
nice i would be interested in doing this to so when the slip light comes on it is applying breaks right? even if i have the vdc off i have the nismo package.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sensors in the transmission tell it when to shift.
when i saw in all the other posts that the tranny wouldn't shift with this mod i thought that sounded possible but i figured that the tranny had its own speed sensors to know when to shift and i'm happy that it does

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
nice i would be interested in doing this to so when the slip light comes on it is applying breaks right? even if i have the vdc off i have the nismo package.
thats right, since our trucks have an open rear end they use an ActiveBrakeLimitedSlip system (ABLS) that applies the brakes to the tire that is spinning the fastest to help the slower moving (tire with most grip) gain more of the power. this system is somewhat effective but slow acting and in severe slip situations it also cuts engine power which sucks when your stuck. So anytime the slip light comes on this system is hard at work, and yes it still functions when your vdc is off. the vdc uses input from a g sensor under the dash and the abls to try and keep you moving straight. since the abls is a function of the abs when the abs system is bypassed the abls does not work (which i honestly prefer off road). my truck only being an se with the c200k rear end i don't have the e locker like you do on your nismo, so you can get some added help from your locker if you get stuck. (a little off topic but if you haven't already there is a mod you can do to let you use your e locker anytime you want and not just in 4lo that you may want to look into)

interesting to see how this unfolds...cuz i may be into doing the same thing if there are no side effects
other than the stuff posted above, the lights on the dash, speedo doesn't work, odometer doesn't count miles, and you can't shift in and out of 4wd when abs is off (another safety feature of all that crap) all you have to do is shift into 4hi or lo or whatever you want to be driving in when you have abs on then you can turn it off and it will stay in that transfer case selection (this is my understanding from other members, i don't like using 4wd on the street so i haven't been able to see if that is true cause i haven't been off road since messing around with this stuff). in the nissan tech manual it says that stopping distance may be longer off road and on slippery roads with abs and they do a test when working on brakes that involves turning off the abs and testing the brakes without abs and all it says that could happen is it may throw a code. which is just related to the system not working but i have yet to see this code.

quote from the manual

3. CHECK CONNECTOR AND BRAKING PERFORMANCE
1. Disable ABS by disconnecting ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) connector.
2. Drive vehicle and check brake operation.
NOTE:
 Stopping distance may be longer than vehicles without ABS when road condition is slippery.
 Driving the vehicle with the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) disconnected may induce DTCs
in electrical control units using CAN communication. After the inspection, clear all DTCs. Refer to LAN-
7, "TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS" .
OK or NG
OK >> GO TO 4.
NG >> Perform Basic Inspection. Refer to BRC-19, "Basic Inspection" .

here are some pics of everything ready to go in the truck. still haven't put it in since the rain here has not let up and i don't really want to work in the cold rain (i live in an apartment). i started taking some of the dash apart, got the glove box off in like two mins using a guide i found in the in ext mods section of the forums. i plan on mounting the switch to the left of the 4wd selector switch since i'll only be using this off road.

the lighting in the pics looks funny cause i took the pics with my phone and had to use the flash

here all the parts laid out getting ready to start

the switch with short leads w/quick disconnects soldered on the switch

fuse tap soldered and heat shrinked in place on one wire

fuse tap and fuse holder all soldered and heat shrinked in place

everything ready and waiting for the rain to stop

i may try and takeover an unused covered parking spot in the complex and finish everything up while my girlfriend is at work

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i got a small window of no rain so i bundled up ( its like 40 outside and windy) and got to work.

First i drilled a small hole for the wires to come through in the part of the fuse box facing the firewall (didn't get any pics of that) and plugged my wire ends w/fuse taps into the spot of the abs fuse and took great care to make sure the wires were very secure with zip ties, don't want anything coming loose.

I also bought some of that plastic tubing that they run all the wiring through from the factory from walmart for a couple bucks. i ran the wire through it and zip tied it to the harness that runs across the firewall to the driver side. i was going to add some electrical tape to make sure the tubing stays nicely closed but i guess after sitting out in the cold in my truck my tape wasn't wanting to stick heh

now to the right of your brake booster there is a rubber grommet that a bunch of wire go through that goes into the cab under the driver side dash, thats where i went in with my wires

and then here is my switch with the quick disconnects connected before mounting

i thought that i was going to need to pull that whole dash panel out that has the 4wd selector in it to mount my switch to the left of it which is why i already pulled out the glove box but its all pretty easy to get to with just taking off the panel under the steering wheel and nothing else so i didn't need to remove the glove box after all. i however don't have it mounted yet because my drill is god knows where and my little batt powered dremel isn't too good at drilling holes in dashes heh

i did a test of it all once i put my fuse in the fuse holder and i was able to switch it from abs on to abs off and back on again while driving with no problems at all. i can also put it in 4hi or 4lo with the abs on then switch the abs off and the truck stays in 4wd but the system disables the transfer case actuator when abs is off so you can not change your selection with the abs off. during the entire test that i did i never saw the check engine light come on and i even used my obdII scan tool to check for pending codes and there were none. once i manage to get the switch mounted i will post one last pic of it mounted on my dash

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
very nice man!!

very clean. awesome write up.
lol you have an obdII?
i need to use one to get my truck flashed:)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
very nice man!!

very clean. awesome write up.
lol you have an obdII?
i need to use one to get my truck flashed:)
thanks andy! and yeah i have a mac tools ET50 OBDII scan tool. its pretty basic though (only cost like $70 i think) its really compact but can read and clear codes and a few other things

nice write-up. i think this is going to be one of my freeze-my-butt off winter projects as well.
luckily its a pretty quick project so you wont have to freeze you butt off too long. i think my next project that will most likely involve me freezing my butt off will be bypassing the tranny cooler thats in the radiator after reading all the horror stories of members forking out 6k for new tranny and radiators and labor. i'll do the bypass this winter and then come spring most likely swap the tranny cooler in front of the radiator for one with a t-stat and fan just to be safe

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got off work around 10 pm and decided about 11 pm that i wanted to get my interior back together and get my switch mounted tonight so i put on my heavy winter coat and grabbed my dremel and got to work. it didn't take long to get it all finished up. its not the best looking switch and i thought about putting it in a more hidden spot but i found that this was the best spot to be able to switch it quickly on the fly while off roading and changing from 2wd to 4wd. so here's the complete project.

suited up and ready to go lol

here are a few pics so you can see how it looks from the driver seat and close up

·
Rogue Admin
13,272 Posts
i thought about putting the switch there, but i think i will hit my knee on it. I don't have any switch blanks by the 4x4 knob either, as I have heated seats, VDC, and Hill Assist buttons there. I may put it over by the mirrors, I'm undecided.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i thought about putting the switch there, but i think i will hit my knee on it. I don't have any switch blanks by the 4x4 knob either, as I have heated seats, VDC, and Hill Assist buttons there. I may put it over by the mirrors, I'm undecided.
thats the other spot i was thinking of putting mine too but i already have one switch over there for my stock fogs and plan on needed room over there for other switches in the future. on a side note....... :itsfriday:

·
Rogue Admin
13,272 Posts
thats the other spot i was thinking of putting mine too but i already have one switch over there for my stock fogs and plan on needed room over there for other switches in the future. on a side note....... :itsfriday:
well, i am probably going to do this tomorrow, so we shall see. was there a particular side of the fuse tap that the new in-line fuse must be wired to?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
when i turn the VDC OFF my ABLS is off as well. it should be the same on your truck.

·
Rogue Admin
13,272 Posts
when i turn the VDC OFF my ABLS is off as well. it should be the same on your truck.
you must be the lucky one. with VDC off, my rear slip will still kick in - and the loss of power yada yada

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i am probably going to do this tomorrow, so we shall see. was there a particular side of the fuse tap that the new in-line fuse must be wired to?
you always want to keep the fuse as close as possible to the power source so in a case of a short there is as little wire as possible before the fuse so the fuse can do its job fast and blow without the wiring getting too hot or maybe burning up before the fuse can blow and causing more damage (sorry for the extended rant i'm a marine (boat) electrician). the lower post of the slot for the abs fuse was the power side so i plugged my fuse tap with the fuse holder in there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone added a switch accesible from the dashboard in order to disconnect just one of the wheel sensors from the ABS system so that only the ABS system is disabled and stops working? I sort of thought that would accomplish what is desired while leaving the other electrical systems operating??

1 - 20 of 57 Posts