Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While replacing the upper and lower ball joints my I was removing the hub and my buddy decided to help me with removing the ABS sensor....this is what is left. any recommendations to get the core out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what's really strange is now my brake lights won't turn off, ever, I've checked the switch on the pedal, deactivated and yet the brake lights are one....:frown::surprise::roll:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
While replacing the upper and lower ball joints my I was removing the hub and my buddy decided to help me with removing the ABS sensor....this is what is left. any recommendations to get the core out?

https://goo.gl/photos/4Cv8zhvDT2CfM7AK8

sorry about the link, having a hard time getting the img tag to work with google photos....

your going to take a hammer and twist it 90 degrees. and it will come right out. if you need a new sensor PM me i kept my removed sensors when i SASed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your going to take a hammer and twist it 90 degrees. and it will come right out. if you need a new sensor PM me i kept my removed sensors when i SASed
that was my intent, until the core twisted off and broke inside the wheel hub. now I think I've got to pull the whole thing apart to keep pieces from getting inside the hub and drill it out....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
that was my intent, until the core twisted off and broke inside the wheel hub. now I think I've got to pull the whole thing apart to keep pieces from getting inside the hub and drill it out....
you can drill it out and use an extractor, that will also work. if you look closely you do have access to the bottom of it. where you could work a pick from the back side to push it out. soak it with pb blaster. its just plastic. its not like the chevys where they use a steel sleeve that like to rot into the hole and you have to drill and beat everything out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at it on Saturday when I've got some time away from work. I appreciate the help. I expected the ABS not to work, I didn't expect the brake light issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Yes, it'll turn on both warning lights. If they were smart at the time, they could have designed a plastic liner on the sensor to prevent this from happening. Leave it to the Nissan engineering department!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, upon further review, the brake light issue is completely unrelated to the ABS issue, the brake lights--the ones on the back of the truck, not on the dash, are on because the rubber bumper on the pedal broke. Picking up new one at Nissan today, that's going to be a bear to put in since I just got the best brake bleed I've had in a while and the pedal is extremely firm. I'll get it worked out. Hopefully it'll be functional by tonight, even without ABS

·
Registered
674 Posts
well, upon further review, the brake light issue is completely unrelated to the ABS issue, the brake lights--the ones on the back of the truck, not on the dash, are on because the rubber bumper on the pedal broke. Picking up new one at Nissan today, that's going to be a bear to put in since I just got the best brake bleed I've had in a while and the pedal is extremely firm. I'll get it worked out. Hopefully it'll be functional by tonight, even without ABS
If you run the engine while you work on the pedal stopper it should help to give you more of a workable stroke with the booster helping you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you run the engine while you work on the pedal stopper it should help to give you more of a workable stroke with the booster helping you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
well, that helped, still couldn't get my fat fingers up in there, so I decided this was a good time to change brake fluid and just opened the bleeder valve, pedal went to the floor and I snapped the piece right in. Then I saw the other one up there had cracks in it and since I had bought two thinking that might be the case I carved it out and replaced it as well. refilled and bled the brake lines and all is good once more. Now just have to fix the original problem I started the thread about.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, lets just say it wasn't as easy as turn it a quarter turn and slide it out. I've never seen plastic bond with metal but that thing was STUCK! ended up chipping it out with a chisel after I removed the hub

it came out in a number of pieces

but it came out. after a good long time filing and cleaning up the hole it went into I got it all done and the ABS light doesn't come on anymore.

What's interesting is that the light has stayed on intermittently on this truck since I bought it new. Dealer couldn't find anything on it and wanted me to bring the truck to them with the light on, but any time I turned off the ignition and restarted the truck the light went off. Never managed to get to the dealership with it, but now the light goes off much more quickly than it did before. I wonder if I have fixed a problem that has been there for the last 14 years.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts