Nissan Frontier Forum banner

ABS self diagnosis (counting flashes)

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  2WD_NISMO 
#1 ·
I have ABS/Slip lights that have been intermittently on for about a couple years. This page says that by grounding pin 9 of the data link connection it'll spit out flashes. Has anyone tried this method?

Barring, that do any part stores read ABS codes for free? I tried Autozone but the guy at the counter said they can't read ABS, but it could be just didn't feel like doing it. I'm not adverse to buying a code reader; any recommendations?
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FI/FixUrNissan/2012-12-01_020641_1.pdf

#2 · (Edited)
I know this is a bit old, but yes, any parts store should be able to read the ABS codes, just depends on if their working reader has that expansion. Many tire shops should also have ABS readers and if they're not busy should be willing to read it for you (as they might make a sale) My local dealer will do code reads for free when they're not busy (usually its the CSR/scheduler that reads it as they spend alot of time standing around and are motivated to make a sale)

Also, check there isn't a buildup of grease/dirt on/around sensor or tone wheel. That can result intermittent errors also

#3 ·
After exploring several options, I discovered that Jiffy Lube of all places does free ABS code scans. Super nice guy with a great attitude got my codes right away, even wrote them down for me. Also heard that PepBoys does. Parts stores don't for liability reasons. Muffler/brake chains (eg, Meineke) charge 1 hour as do dealers of course. The jumper wire method I posted won't work on 2nd gens, but should on 1st. If anyone cares, C1115 (ABS sensor malfunction) and C1105 (rear right sensor 2).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.