Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2003 Frontier King Cab XE 4-cyl 5speed new in 2003. Have had this issue since then. Anytime that I am driving straight on wet or icy roads, when I have to apply brakes suddenly, there is a clicking noise and the brake peddle goes soft with barely any slowing at all. Its like the ABS does not engage fully. I would stop faster if just using brakes without ABS. This has greatly concerned me, because I am afraid in an emergency situation, I will hit someone or something. I always give plenty of room under wet/icy conditions because of this. I have had it serviced by the dealer since new, and brought this to their attention several times over the last 14 years, but they always say the brakes are fine, and they didn't find any problem. Am I the only one with this problem?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Where do you live that you are encountering ice and snow in July.

I understand your frustration. But that is how it goes. I have the same issue on my truck. If you read the owners manual it actually states that on ice and snow you will have an increase in stopping distance due to the ABS. There are a variety of ways to disable the abs; none of which are ideal.

Best advice I can give are these: Once the abs starts to pulse release the brakes and reapply gentler. Beware of downshifting as you might get shift lock. Be ready to step in the clutch if you are getting shift lock and start to slide. Get winter specific tires. You'll be amazed with a set of blizzaks. Get OEM size as the abs get a little confused with bigger tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts