Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can provide some direction towards handling an issue with my 2010 Crewcab Pro 4x's ABS system. I am getting three codes-
C1110 Controller Failure
C1160 Decel G Sensor Set
C1144 Steering Angle Sensor Signal

So, it appears that the ABS module has failed. What I'm looking for is any verification that the other two codes occur because whatever self-diagnostic routine the system runs can't complete because the primary module has failed, or is it possible that the steering angle sensor or deceleration sensor has failed and is causing the controller failure code?

If the controller has failed, does anyone have a good source of a used control module? The truck has almost 120k miles on it and I hate to spend what I'm sure is close to a thousand dollars for a new part.

thanks for any advice..

·
Registered
91 Posts
If no one is on this by Monday, shoot me a reminder to look into it at the shop.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I would think the Decel G and Steering angle sensors would be caused by the failed module, which I believe is around $1200-ish. Keep in mind that once the module is replaced, the Steering position, yaw and decel sensors will all need to be re-learned with a capable scan tool. Try Car-part.com for used parts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm on it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
This was pulled from my diagnostic program I use at work.

C1144 - The steering angle sensor detects the rotation amount, angular velocity and direction of the steering wheel,
and transmits the data to the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) via CAN communication.
Possible cause:
•Harness or connector
•Steering angle sensor
•ABS actuator and electric unit

C1160 - The yaw rate/side/decel G sensor detects the yaw rate/side/decel G affecting the vehicle, and transmits the
data to the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) as an analog voltage signal.
Possible cause:
•Decel G sensor calibration
•Yaw rate/side/decel G sensor
•ABS actuator and electric unit
(control unit)

I would say, yes - the ABS Control Unit is likely causing your other two issues. As far as locating the part, I've heard there's a few good online sites that have cheap prices (Jegs, for example), but I'm not too familiar with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. I'm going to check on used controllers. Don't want to spend the money on a $1,200 part, plus probably half that again in labor.

Concerning the issues of having the sensors "re-learn"- I'm not very familiar with those processes. My scanner is a TopDon Elite. It can read ABS codes, but I'm not sure it can actually reset them. I tried clearing all codes, which didn't do anything, but until I replace the controller I wouldn't really expect it to.

I've read about "resetting" the steering angle by driving in a straight line for a while, but I'm not sure if that works after a controller replacement. Some information I've found suggests that doing so requires the Nissan Consult II software. Would you happen to have any reliable sources for information on resetting/learning the steering, decel and yaw sensors? One last thing, is the yaw sensor completely separate from the decel g sensor? I'm not getting an error code for a yaw sensor, but understand it could come up after controller replacement, assuming it is a separate module.

Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You *SHOULD* be able to avoid the relearn process by disconnecting your battery for 5 min (which should be done anyways when disconnecting and reconnecting your ABS control module). This loss of power is supposed to reset your ECU/ECM to stock settings, thus generally preventing a relearn cycle with a new part. It doesn't always happen that easy, but the few ABS control modules I've replaced - that's been the case. I've seen setups with the Y and G sensors both as a little ball that swings around on one unit as well as two separate sensors.

I'm don't specialize on Nissans though, nor do I tear into them a lot so I'm sorry I can't help more with that.

If it were my truck, I would just do the ABS control module swap, make sure the battery is unplugged, and go from there. These trucks don't seem too overly complex, and the engine isn't a performance engine, so it should be pretty basic.

One thing you can try is checking your ABS Control Module ground. I have seen it where the metal around the ground connection got corroded. I just wire-wheeled the metal, reconnected the ground, and the light went away.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I tried cleaning the ground and that didn't seem to solve it, but it was a great suggestion. I've been looking at used parts. Actually found several "online" sellers who have what looks like the entire assembly (pump, controller) for no more than a few hundred, depending on the mileage put on it. I've also found a few online "junk" yards that seem to be selling just the controller, but less than a hundred. I'm just not sure, even after inputting the vehicle info, if those are true matches because I'm not entirely certain you can successfully separate those pieces (and put them back together w/o issues). I found some downloads of the service manuals and they all seem to indicate that if the system indicates a fault, replace the actuator and control unit. Of course, the dealer does love to install new parts..

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The ABS pump and the control unit are one unit. They can be had for $50-$75 at the salvage yards if you look around. There are several different part numbers, depending on the vehicle options. Most salvage yards should have an interchange program to find the correct part. A new one is only available from Nissan and is over $1200.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts