Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say I've been frequently reading that sticky that talks all about lifts. Let me also say....It's a ****ing cluster**** mess. It needs cleaned up bad!

So I've decided to go with bilstein 5100 shocks since i"m about due for new shocks. I was looking at the Supreme Suspension 3" lift for the front and rear. However, this is where the question is. Most people are only offering 2.5" kits. What troubles am I facing if I go 3" ?

I won't be doing this install myself. I'll be having a shop do it while the suspension work is being done.

On a side note, can I use the shocks to get 2" and get a 2" block kit for a total of 4"? In that cluster**** mess of a sticky I thought I read anything over 3 was trouble.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't see how Jenior's lift sticky is a mess. It explains things in pretty good detail. Don't even think about 4" of suspension lift on your 4wd unless you plan on doing a drop bracket kit. You can go 3" but you will absolutely be hearing your upper control arms smacking your coil buckets. Its still doable and many people do it but you will hear noise. You can use the Bilsteins and a spacer but I would strongly suggest not even thinking of going past 3" of total suspension lift on the front. I myself have 3" spacers but also SPC control arms which eliminates the coil bucket contact.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the damage if the control arms smack the coil buckets? Is there a remedy for this? I'm still only considering 2.5" total, I'm just feeling out my options right now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The lift thread is actually pretty good. First post covers about it all.

CBC has no real damage to worry about. Noise is biggest complaint. You can either add bump stops which makes it quiet again, grind off the coil bucket where it contacts or get different control arms that clear the bucket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not an expert in any way, but this is my experience from the work I had Greg at PRG do. I know the feeling of trying to figure out how much and how to do it. The sticky is a lot of help, but you can get confused with the number of options out there and the reason you are doing the lift.

I live about 2.5 hours from PRG so I called Greg and explained what I wanted and went with his suggestions for the price point I was trying to stay around. I drove to Auburn and he installed everything. So far so good and it rides much better than stock with no alignment issues. The lift ended up being basically 3 inches in the Front and about 2.5 in the back.

We went with Bils set at 1.5, 1.5 spacer on top, and SPC UCAs. In the rear we did the Deaver 2 spring AAL and upgraded the shocks to 5125 for 2-3 inches of lift. I don't have coil bucket contact with that setup for the front. We checked out the clearance for the new arms and it was good so I didn't need to grind the coil bucket. You will definitely need new UCAs for the amount you want to lift or you will have coil bucket contact.

The above worked for me because I don't get the chance to hit as many trails as I would like. It should be fine for the light off roading I will get to do, but I will let the experts chime in on that for you. I thought about Radflos for the front, but decided that the Bils and a spacer would do the job. The truck rides great and looks much better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am not an expert in any way, but this is my experience from the work I had Greg at PRG do. I know the feeling of trying to figure out how much and how to do it. The sticky is a lot of help, but you can get confused with the number of options out there and the reason you are doing the lift.

I live about 2.5 hours from PRG so I called Greg and explained what I wanted and went with his suggestions for the price point I was trying to stay around. I drove to Auburn and he installed everything. So far so good and it rides much better than stock with no alignment issues. The lift ended up being basically 3 inches in the Front and about 2.5 in the back.

We went with Bils set at 1.5, 1.5 spacer on top, and SPC UCAs. In the rear we did the Deaver 2 spring AAL and upgraded the shocks to 5125 for 2-3 inches of lift. I don't have coil bucket contact with that setup for the front. We checked out the clearance for the new arms and it was good so I didn't need to grind the coil bucket. You will definitely need new UCAs for the amount you want to lift or you will have coil bucket contact.

The above worked for me because I don't get the chance to hit as many trails as I would like. It should be fine for the light off roading I will get to do, but I will let the experts chime in on that for you. I thought about Radflos for the front, but decided that the Bils and a spacer would do the job. The truck rides great and looks much better.
That's the setup I plan on going with in the future. Thanks for posting about it and the ride.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lift ended up being basically 3 inches in the Front and about 2.5 in the back.

I may go with that setup if there's no coil bucket contact. If there is, would a rubber slab help cushion things? I may get no suspension components in the future, but I Need to get rid of a car first. Then I can spend bigger bucks on the truck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I may go with that setup if there's no coil bucket contact. If there is, would a rubber slab help cushion things? I may get no suspension components in the future, but I Need to get rid of a car first. Then I can spend bigger bucks on the truck.
There will be with stock upper control arms. You could soften the blow with bump stops on the stock arm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I have read is that you just need to grind some off the coil bucket lip. It is the ball joint of the SPC arms that hits the coilbucket with some combinations during the down travel. I haven't had it happen yet, but if I do then I will just grind some. The only thing I forgot to mention is that you will need the upgraded bump stop for the LCA. PRG sells it with the OME/5100 upgrade package.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
201 Posts
From what I have read is that you just need to grind some off the coil bucket lip. It is the ball joint of the SPC arms that hits the coilbucket with some combinations during the down travel. I haven't had it happen yet, but if I do then I will just grind some. The only thing I forgot to mention is that you will need the upgraded bump stop for the LCA. PRG sells it with the OME/5100 upgrade package.
Good call on changing your picture. Your truck looks good in that tiny pic. Where can I find the bigger picture?

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/uca-bump-stop-31191/

Yep, found a thread on this. I'm trying to sift through the sticky. It's messy. I think I may stick with 2" spacers and leave it at that.

With bilsteins, do I need to order any additional bushings? Or is everything included?
It should come with everything.

The lift sticky was written for you guys. Suggest some improvements and I’ll take them into consideration.
I'm wondering if he's looking at the right one(yours). There are a few stickied on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Passive here is a picture. I was trying to figure out what the appropriate size for pics was

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good call on changing your picture. Your truck looks good in that tiny pic. Where can I find the bigger picture?

It should come with everything.

I'm wondering if he's looking at the right one(yours). There are a few stickied on there.
This is the sticky: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...s-2005-please-read-before-posting-here-63966/

I used to do web design, and that's a nightmare. 5 different font sizes, spacing issues, 3 different colors, it needs some organizing. The data is there, it's just a mess. Maybe I'm just too used to excel spreadsheets now.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
This is the sticky: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...s-2005-please-read-before-posting-here-63966/

I used to do web design, and that's a nightmare. 5 different font sizes, spacing issues, 3 different colors, it needs some organizing. The data is there, it's just a mess. Maybe I'm just too used to excel spreadsheets now.
Not used to forums I assume?

The styles available in the editor are very limited and its hard to delineate different topics/ sections without colors, sizes, etc. As far as stickies and forum posts go, that's actually a pretty decent example of good formatting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

After mulling over it all night, I think this is the route I'll go. 1.5" bilstein lift with 1.5" spacer and the SPC UCAs.

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
First off, let me say I've been frequently reading that sticky that talks all about lifts. Let me also say....It's a ****ing cluster**** mess. It needs cleaned up bad!
How so? Everything important is in the first 3 posts. It's organized pretty good for the amount of information it has... and the funny part about your complaint is that your first question above was answered in the sticky IN THE FIRST POST:

Most people are only offering 2.5" kits. What troubles am I facing if I go 3"?
- Yes, this was the first question answered in @JeniorNV 's sticky:
How high can I safely lift my 4x4 truck? Why? What if I want to lift it higher?
Generally, 3" is the recommended maximum amount of suspension lift for a 4x4 truck with IFS. The UCA's on our trucks are the biggest limiting factor. It is also very difficult to get good alignment numbers on stock control arms with greater than 2.5" of lift. I would suggest no more than 2.5" of lift with stock Frontier UCA's, 3" with aftermarket Frontier UCA's or stock Titan UCA's, and 4" with aftermarket Titan UCA's. Additional limiting factors are down travel, ride quality and CV angles. If you want to lift your 4x4 higher, you will either need to use a drop bracket kit or combine a body lift with your suspension lift.
can I use the shocks to get 2" and get a 2" block kit for a total of 4"?
Not in the rear. Rear shocks don't do any lift, you have to lift the rear using blocks, leaf packs, AALs, shackles, or any combination of these.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's what I'm looking at purchasing:

PRG Upper control arms with 3" spacer
PRG Products

2" rear lift with new leaf springs
PRG Products

And new shocks: Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit for Nissan Frontier 4WD 2005-14 - Includes Front Ride Height Adjustable Shocks # 24-187053 & Rear Shocks # 24-187152

$599 + $159 + $386 = $1,144

So should I go with this? Or do you guys know of a pre-compiled set that comes out cheaper than this? (or maybe a titan swap kit?)

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
If you don't plan on going higher than 3" up front, you don't need the front ride-height adjustable shocks, since you're already going with a 3" spacer.

Other than that, that's a common setup that many people have used here. Just make sure you get rear shocks that are for 2" lift.

Oh and hopefully you get your parts right away from PRG. They're hit or miss.

...and leave room in the budget for an alignment after install.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you don't plan on going higher than 3" up front, you don't need the front ride-height adjustable shocks, since you're already going with a 3" spacer.

Other than that, that's a common setup that many people have used here. Just make sure you get rear shocks that are for 2" lift.

Oh and hopefully you get your parts right away from PRG. They're hit or miss.

...and leave room in the budget for an alignment after install.
I'm due for a shock upgrade anyway since mine are worn out. That's actually the main reason I'm doing this lift. While it's in the shop, might as well have them throw on the other parts.

I didn't mention in my list I was getting the camber bolts (do I need 4 of them? Or just 2?) I did plan on needing an alignment.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts