Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ClubFrontier, I've been reading posts on this site for a long time, and attribute most of my knowledge of the working bits of my truck to information found here. Thanks for all that.

I currently own a 2006 Fronty Nismo, and after a recent divorce I have found myself with a lot more free time for projects. In the last year I've don the following: Suspension work was a slight lift and level done with Old Man Emu leaf springs, Radflo coilovers and emulsion shocks, and new LCA's and UCA's (had to cut out the factory LCA's w/ a reciprocating saw due to fully rusted bolts...not fun). I installed a Volant CAI as well as an IMS last summer, as well as throwing on some 33"s, and am now working on re-gearing the front and rear diff's to regain overdrive power and to assist with all the interstate mountain passes I deal with out here in Idaho (nothing like bouncing between gears to make you regret oversized tires!)

Anyway I'm already down to 12-13 mpg city so I must be doing something right!

I'll get my garage updated soon, but just wanted to say hello and that I'm glad to be here

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Welcome!

Can you share your opinions on your Volant and IMS? Did you install both at the same time...or did you get to sample one first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the two about a week apart, so not a lot of time for the ECM to adjust to the one before the other was installed. There was a noticeable low-end torque (like between 2000 and 2800 rpm) improvement after installing XTP's IMS, but I also replaced all plugs and coils while at it so the result is not completely attributable to IMS. There was probably some change on the upper end, but again, butt-dyno is only so good.

The Volant CAI is noisy. Not bad noisy... in fact half of my decrease in gas mileage is because of the air-gobbling throaty growl of the CAI in high rpm range and my foot being unable to control itself. This also yielded some power gains, but required relocating the horn and removal of some radiator cowling.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Dang right foot is a direct link to adrenals...doncha know!
We're in the middle of a group buy for the XTP IMS currently...thanks for your input.
A CAI will be a future mod, maybe next Fall/Winter. Brand to be determined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts