Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a roof and cap rack for my 19.

Ideally, I'd like a rack over the cab that clips on to the door frame. Really don't want to drill the roof.

However, I also need a rack for the Century cap I have (don't mind drilling this)

Biggest concern is finding two racks that will be level with each other.

Recs appreciated.
Wheel Tire Car Window Plant

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
There really are no non drill options for either, Thule and Yakima might make clamp on mounts for the cab, but they are not the most secure and will destroy the paint. Your only option for the shell is a track system, Prinsu style, Rhino or similar, all require drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
267 Posts
There really are no non drill options for either, Thule and Yakima might make clamp on mounts for the cab, but they are not the most secure and will destroy the paint. Your only option for the shell is a track system, Prinsu style, Rhino or similar, all require drilling.

Is destroyed paint from personal experience ?, as I've never heard or read of complaints about this, The Thule and Yak versions do clamp under the door frame, but the towers and foot kit are typically plastic, don't mar the paint and very secure. I had my original Thule using a clamp method and it was plenty secure with 2 bikes on roof at 75 mph.

@ OP, that's the option, also look at Rocky Mounts as well as on your local CraigsList as folks are always selling cross bars, you can save money and all you need is the particular towers and fit kit for the Frontier. I purchased the slotted T rail option when I got a Leer cap, it's very strong, I've had a box and kayak on it at highway speed. A slotted T-rail is easy to install on a fiberglass cap. I then added the Yak tower set and crossbars, buying the Yak T rail kit ($120). I may at some point add an over the cab cross bar so as to better support a 17' canoe.

As well, not seeing the need for the cab and cap cross bars to be level. If you are using Yak round bars as example, there's no need for level, you just strap down whatever load.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4WD
139 Posts
i have a Whispbar (before Yakima bought them out) flushbar setup on my cab. and i recently bought some racks for my canopy off craigslist. they're the thule 460 and 430 which are the square bar ones. when i bought them, the guy included the fit kit 3101 and tk01 which could be used for tracks. the guy sold both sets with bars for a grand total of $125 which is a steal. you could either go with track mounts or fixed mounts.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Is destroyed paint from personal experience ?, as I've never heard or read of complaints about this, The Thule and Yak versions do clamp under the door frame, but the towers and foot kit are typically plastic, don't mar the paint and very secure. I had my original Thule using a clamp method and it was plenty secure with 2 bikes on roof at 75 mph.

@ OP, that's the option, also look at Rocky Mounts as well as on your local CraigsList as folks are always selling cross bars, you can save money and all you need is the particular towers and fit kit for the Frontier. I purchased the slotted T rail option when I got a Leer cap, it's very strong, I've had a box and kayak on it at highway speed. A slotted T-rail is easy to install on a fiberglass cap. I then added the Yak tower set and crossbars, buying the Yak T rail kit ($120). I may at some point add an over the cab cross bar so as to better support a 17' canoe.

As well, not seeing the need for the cab and cap cross bars to be level. If you are using Yak round bars as example, there's no need for level, you just strap down whatever load.
Any vehicle that uses or has used the clamp style temporary mounts will have some paint damage, scratches, rubbing, in some cases the metal clamps will rub through the paint. Yes, it from personal experience, and also from working with a local shop that specializes in installing rack systems of all types from all manufacturers. Those rubber pads have a finite lifespan, air moving around them and any load carried will cause them to shift, which can cause scratches, it also allows road debris, grit to get in there.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I'm in need of a roof and cap rack for my 19.

Ideally, I'd like a rack over the cab that clips on to the door frame. Really don't want to drill the roof.

However, I also need a rack for the Century cap I have (don't mind drilling this)

Biggest concern is finding two racks that will be level with each other.

Recs appreciated. View attachment 339944
Talked to a local shop that specializes in racks, bike carriers, etc, that’s all they sell, service and install Yakima, Thule, Rhino and a couple others. No one makes a clamp style mount for the cab anymore that they could find a listing for. I looked at Yakima’s website, they only list drill mounts, you would have to find an older one maybe on eBay or something.

For your shell, I’d recommend doing a track install, but make sure you install it in the correct spots or it can weaken the shell structure.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
267 Posts
Talked to a local shop that specializes in racks, bike carriers, etc, that’s all they sell, service and install Yakima, Thule, Rhino and a couple others. No one makes a clamp style mount for the cab anymore that they could find a listing for. I looked at Yakima’s website, they only list drill mounts, you would have to find an older one maybe on eBay or something.

For your shell, I’d recommend doing a track install, but make sure you install it in the correct spots or it can weaken the shell structure.

Yakima makes a bare roof system.
2020 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Roof Rack Fit List - Rack Attack

Thule as well:
60" bars of your choice
Rack solution #1 Thule SquareBar Evo 135 - $130
Thule Clamp Evo Kit 145160 - $140

@OP. I've been putting assorted Thule and Yakima racks on vehicles for 30 years, 7 different vehicles. I've used clamp on the door, with zero paint chipping issues, most with some form of factory installed F/R rail system (my 5 Subaru's) and now the Frontier with a T rail on the cap. I have never needed assistance from a specific dealer, I typically order from Rack Warehouse (I like them) or Rack Attack or on occasion REI, when they have sales. I've used assorted Thule bike trays, a Thule roof box, Yak cross bars and bike holders (Frontloader) as well as kayak holders. I've moved lumber, boats and bikes. This is not hard and is easy to figure out how to purchase what you need and get installed, it all just bolts on, you might need a 5mm allen key is about the only tool I've ever used.

The best system I've used is the Yakima Skyline tower with XX fit kit for the vehicle and the Core bars. The Skyline tower system uses a cam bolt lock that releases in a second and allows the towers and cross bar to be removed from the vehicle in about a minute. The fit kit foot then stays bolted to the T rail. I don't keep my bars on the vehicle in the winter as it makes it harder to clear snow, but I keep the system in the bed in case I need to transport something long. Unfortunatley the Skyline towers are not available for the over the cab system, only for the over the cap T rail system.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Some toppers are designed to carry/support weight more than others. So, depending on what you wish to transport/support up there, it might be worth a call to one's topper manufacturer to inquire re: topper model specific specs.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some toppers are designed to carry/support weight more than others. So, depending on what you wish to transport/support up there, it might be worth a call to one's topper manufacturer to inquire re: topper model specific specs.
Yeah really I'm looking to transport my larger ladder. Biggest concern is if I just do the rack over the cab, is that enough of a footprint to carry the ladder safely.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
267 Posts
Yeah really I'm looking to transport my larger ladder. Biggest concern is if I just do the rack over the cab, is that enough of a footprint to carry the ladder safely.
I'd say yes. Many trucks used for commercial use have "Ladder Racks" which are just bed mounted frames and cross bars designed to carry ladders above roof height. They often have no over the cab support and carry long ladders. My cap T rail allows my cross bars a F to R spread of 36"+ and can support a 17 ft canoe.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use my truck for a work truck and routinely put bigger ladders on my Thule system on my cap as well as several other vehicles. If I was going to put a rack on my cab I would go Thule personally. You can get some light abrasions in your paint with the foot pads but you have to leave them on year round and never clean your car. I have used Thule racks since they came to market in the US. Have never had any issues. You can always find stuff used to work in your systems. But I typically buy the towers new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts