Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been eyeing a 2004 4x4 Frontier that is for sale at a dealership that is about 90 miles from me. The original price was $6,500 and over the past few weeks has come down to $4,995.. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but am going up this weekend to test drive it. My brother-in-law is going to check it out for me tomorrow, to make sure is worth the drive up (he lives near it). My concern is the price has come down so much and that it hasn't sold yet. It is the 4-door with 6ft bed.

Mainly posting this to see if anyone knows any issues with the 2004 4x4's that I should look out for. I have looked around at reviews on it, and seems pretty solid, but cannot find anything for the specific year/model/trim.

Just got married and don't want to end up in a money pit..

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? They typically go for more than that in Florida... I guess my mains concern is the 4x4.... I have always heard that it's asking for trouble, because they fail a lot and it is not a cheap fix. Having 4 wheel drive is a major plus for me, because I do a lot of dirt road travels to get to less traveled kayaking/hiking areas..

·
Rogue Admin
13,347 Posts
Really? They typically go for more than that in Florida... I guess my mains concern is the 4x4.... I have always heard that it's asking for trouble, because they fail a lot and it is not a cheap fix. Having 4 wheel drive is a major plus for me, because I do a lot of dirt road travels to get to less traveled kayaking/hiking areas..
You must have been talking to Ford owners. :laugh: Having 4x4 isn't any more prone to failing than similar components of a 2wd - sounds like you'll have fun with this truck.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

I think you need to start talking to different people, lol. If the truck is mechanically sound buy it. The main way to destroy 4x4 is to engage it on pavement and or drive over 40mph. No real way to see if any damage has been done to it but check to make sure it goes into 4x4 and 4lo. Probably no rust on it unless it was at the beach a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you need to start talking to different people, lol. If the truck is mechanically sound buy it. The main way to destroy 4x4 is to engage it on pavement and or drive over 40mph. No real way to see if any damage has been done to it but check to make sure it goes into 4x4 and 4lo. Probably no rust on it unless it was at the beach a lot.
Alright! I am scheduled to take it out Saturday morning and will hopefully drive away with a Frontier. Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Check out the 1st Gen forum to find out about common issues with that year...

1st GEN forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts