Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had some questions rattling around in my brain for a few weeks now. I figure there are some fairly simple answers to them.

1: Airbags and off-road... wire a switch to disable? Just put a new steering wheel w/o an airbag? Obviously, the passenger side can be turned off. But that's not gonna help the driver if ya hit a big bump and the steering wheel airbag decides to pop in your face! That would SUCK!!

2: Can ya do the Titan front end swap for the 1st gens? Would it be worth it?

3: The TC Long Travel suspension gets rid of the T bars, right? It seems like T bars could be a hinderance while off-roading.. am I wrong?

4: I remember seeing somewhere that someone wired a switch to disable the brake lights from coming on when ya push the pedal. Isn't this illegal? Not that it bothers me that someone's doing it, just wondering.

5: Why to I see people with different UCA's and LCA's? Like, on the same truck, but from different companies? What's the advantage?

6: Are there "short shift" kits for these trucks? Like the kinds you can get for a little sports car to make the shift travel shorter. I haven't seen anything like this for the trucks, but I sure would like a little less throw in my knob... (this phrase IS open for rude comments)

·
Registered
297 Posts
2) nevermind, got mixed up...

3) Yes, with the TC kit you remove the torsion bars and replace them with a coilover setup.

4) Im not sure if it's illegal or not, but if it isnt it is very dangerous.

Those are the only ones I know. Oh and to others if I got any information wrong please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
2) A titan swap is possible for a 1st gen. I believe penski/sexy6chick did it to there 1st gen. I would like some more information on it as well...
Their first gen is sas'd.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As for Question 4... it can be done. most police cars hav a "monentary " switch that has to be held. Just cant switch it on and off because it might be forgotten. The police use it for approaches and snarking

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
I've had some questions rattling around in my brain for a few weeks now. I figure there are some fairly simple answers to them.

1: Airbags and off-road... wire a switch to disable? Just put a new steering wheel w/o an airbag? Obviously, the passenger side can be turned off. But that's not gonna help the driver if ya hit a big bump and the steering wheel airbag decides to pop in your face! That would SUCK!!
don't worry about deploying the airbags. i have beat on my truck pretty hard and i have done lots of slamming and haven't had any problems.

no. you could swap the rear axle with some custom fab work, but it would by no means be a simple swap. you have the h233, so it would be a downgrade in my opinion.

3: The TC Long Travel suspension gets rid of the T bars, right? It seems like T bars could be a hinderance while off-roading.. am I wrong?
in short, tbars limit suspension travel and articulation. tbars act as the spring, but they are probably the most economical suspension option for midsize trucks. they are probably the least favorable for offroading for these properties as well. coilovers are the best option for offroading. the TC kit is basicly a coilover conversion. that should answer your question.

4: I remember seeing somewhere that someone wired a switch to disable the brake lights from coming on when ya push the pedal. Isn't this illegal? Not that it bothers me that someone's doing it, just wondering.
probably wasn't the brake lights, i don't know why someone would do that... i suspect you may have misunderstood someone disabling the ABS, since locking up the tires offers the best braking performance offroad

5: Why to I see people with different UCA's and LCA's? Like, on the same truck, but from different companies? What's the advantage?
i'm not entirely sure because i never dealt with it. i would speculate that cost has something to do with it though. lots of people piece together lifts using parts from different companies for cost efficiencies. 1st gens are very limited though.

6: Are there "short shift" kits for these trucks? Like the kinds you can get for a little sports car to make the shift travel shorter. I haven't seen anything like this for the trucks, but I sure would like a little less throw in my knob... (this phrase IS open for rude comments)
no.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts

don't worry about deploying the airbags. i have beat on my truck pretty hard and i have done lots of slamming and haven't had any problems.
A buddy hit a deer right at the sensor and set off his airbag. never seen one set off offroading tho. I believe there is a fuse you can pull tho.
no. you could swap the rear axle with some custom fab work, but it would by no means be a simple swap. you have the h233, so it would be a downgrade in my opinion.
the H233 is a better axle than the titan? not that im doubting you, just find it surprising that the "big truck" has a weaker axle.
probably wasn't the brake lights, i don't know why someone would do that... i suspect you may have misunderstood someone disabling the ABS, since locking up the tires offers the best braking performance offroad
would like a bit more info on this. I HATE ABS.
no.
go old school and cut the shifter off inside the vehicle. youll move less.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
A buddy hit a deer right at the sensor and set off his airbag. never seen one set off offroading tho. I believe there is a fuse you can pull tho.
i'm pretty sure its a sensor that measures horizontal forces. i haven't heard of anything happening in a 1st gen, but a few 2nd gens have set off bags from running into parking bumps at a pretty decent speed.

the H233 is a better axle than the titan? not that im doubting you, just find it surprising that the "big truck" has a weaker axle.
search for "m226 failure" on titantalk or any titan forum and you will find pleanty of info. search any nissan forum for a 33 spline h233b failure and you won't find much, if anything. this was debated in a recent thread, but nobody was able to produce a link to a thread where someone broke a 33 spine h233b. its a strong and proven axle and housing.

would like a bit more info on this. I HATE ABS.
disabling the abs is as simple as pulling hte abs fuse. some of the more clever people have wired in a simple switch that they can flick to turn off the abs for better braking performance while offroad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answers, beef! I'd also like to learn about the ABS cutoff switch. I think I'll go a searchin'....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts