Nissan Frontier Forum banner

A/C turns off when fan blower set to '4'

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  madslackin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed an ongoing issue with my truck (99 2wd 4cyl 5spd). The fan blower works in all settings (1-4), and A/C works in fan blower settings 1-3, but when I have A/C on and switch to fan blower setting 4, the A/C compressor kicks off. Fan still works as expected.

The odd part is that sometimes A/C does work on fan setting 4, but A/C will kick off shortly thereafter.

I've searched the forums and found similar issues described with the fix being to replace the blower motor resistor pack, but the exact symptoms do not match what I'm seeing. In other threads, the fan blower works only in setting 4, and the issues seem unrelated to A/C.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
The symptoms depend upon which part of the resistor pack is bad. Sounds like you have a break in one of the coils, and sometimes that vibrates into place so it works for a bit.

Your alternative is to use speeds 1-3 until something else breaks. By the way, the slower the blower speed, the colder the air will be (longer residence time to exchange heat in the evaporator). I'm in the Arizona desert, and typically use blower speeds 2 and 3 on my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers.

#6 ·
Most blower motor resistor problems will result in one or more of the lower speeds not working. Usually the highest setting bypasses the resistor network completely. Is it the blower motor or the A/C compressor that stops running at high speed?

#7 ·
#9 ·
Thanks for caring enough to tell me to read the OP... I actually did read it. My response was to explain why the blower resistor network would likely not be the cause of the problem, even though almost everyone posting before me is sending him/her to buy a new resistor network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.