Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when my car is idling or driving its fine, once i turn the ac on it starts to make a squealing maybe grinding type noise. If i push the ac button(the one with the 3 lights) the squealing stops. Ac blows cold. Also if the heater is on it doesnt make the noise.

Could it be the pulley bearing or the clutch. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds like your belt is slipping. The question is why. Could be loose or worn, check that first.

Could be too much refrigerant binding the clutch. Have you added refrigerant recently?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your belt is slipping. The question is why. Could be loose or worn, check that first.

Could be too much refrigerant binding the clutch. Have you added refrigerant recently?

I have bought belts so i will change that and i’ll change that pulley next to the comp. that pulley seemed to have some wobble when i checked it. As for refrigerant, no i have not added any amd i dont think the og owner did either. He didnt do much to the car

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
If the air comes out cold, don't touch the refrigerant levels (and NEVER add anything with sealer).

When the AC belt is off, be sure to spin the AC idler pulley and the AC compressor clutch pulley by hand; listen and feel for anything different than silent and smooth.

I've had the AC idler pulley bearing go bad on my 1998 Frontier, and replaced the pulley.
I use Gates or Gatorback belts, and a worn/glazed belt can squeal. I will say that Frontiers DO have the reputation (and deserved) for belt squeals.

The power steering idler pulley is a different size/unit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info...very much appreciated. Took a look under the car, and the belt seemed loose tightened it ip a notch and i may have solved my problem. Didnt run it for that long, so next drive i’ll test it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd it stops squealing then the belt was loose and probably slipped with the added torque of turning the compressor.

If not, it sounds like the pump clutch to me. They squeal when going bad and engaged. You can find a YouTube video on how to check the clutch plate thickness with a gauge.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'd it stops squealing then the belt was loose and probably slipped with the added torque of turning the compressor.
Yes, that loose belt may be the cause. But it might be glazed now, so still might squeal even when tight. Note that typically I've found that AC belts need to be a little tighter than the other belts.

If not, it sounds like the pump clutch to me. They squeal when going bad and engaged. You can find a YouTube video on how to check the clutch plate thickness with a gauge.
Ugly - I'll just throw in that my '98 Frontier (226K) and my 2004 Frontier (100K) are still on their original AC compressors/clutch, in Arizona use, and have great-working AC. I have no idea if this is representative; my 1988 Mazda truck has been through a few compressors, and our 2005 Yukon is on its second.

Reactions: 808tier

·
Registered
939 Posts
Note that typically I've found that AC belts need to be a little tighter than the other belts.

I'll just throw in that my '98 Frontier (226K) and my 2004 Frontier (100K) are still on their original AC compressors/clutch, in Arizona use, and have great-working AC. I have no idea if this is representative; my 1988 Mazda truck has been through a few compressors, and our 2005 Yukon is on its second.
I actually use one size smaller than spec AC belt so I have more room to tighten it up as it ages. It's harder to get on, but worth it in the long run

My 2004 with 200,000 has never had the AC serviced. Works wonderfully

Reactions: 808tier

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I actually use one size smaller than spec AC belt so I have more room to tighten it up as it ages. It's harder to get on, but worth it in the long run
I actually use one size smaller than spec ALTERNATOR belt so I have more room/threads on the adjuster to tighten it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts