Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week it started to get warm here. I used my A/C for the first time since last year. When I turned it on this is what happened:

Monday - Took 10 minutes for the cold air to blow out. After that it would go from cold air to normal air. The cold air was not blowing out as cold as I remembered.

Tuesday - Worked normally, but the air was not as cold as I remembered

Today - Took about 15 minutes for the cold air to blow. Stayed cold til I got home, but was not as cold as I remembered.

Does it need to be recharged?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
sounds like it..... u might have a small leak as well....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Thermal resistor behind the glove box. If you haven't changed it ever then you are over due. And from what I read off your post I'd say it's 99% your problem. If I am totally wrong then you are out 32.00$

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Search the site. I've talked about this in previous posts and why it needs to be changed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That part has never been replaced. I will check it out. Thanks. Is it easy to replace?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yes, and no...

Fist make sure they send you the correct wire number. There is a three wire and a two wire one. So check yours before you purchase. Pull the four screws from the glove box. There will be a black box behind that. On the left you will see a wire (2) or (3) running from the dash to the black box. Inside the box is a condenser. Find all the screws and open up the box. This is the tough part because the bottom of the box will not come off. (pry it apart).

I just shoved the connector back into the box and placed the new one dangling in there. I don't recommend doing that, so try to get a small flashlight, a mirror and pull the old one out and put the new one in it's place. I plan on doing this for mine too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I will pull the glove box out this weekend and check it out. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
In HVAC class we found that its is good to run your A/C often during the winter also, it keep the oil cycling ion the system and prevents leaks. I know some will say that when you put the defroster on it cyclces any way but this way you know. And no it doesnt have to be on cold, you can keep the heat on and just turn the button to on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MY air has not been blowing as cold, then today it went warm all the time, I can hear the compressor clicking frequently, could this be my problem? I charged with 3 12 oz cans of r134 but it did not help. I don't want to get hosed by someone to diagnose the problem.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
@dribak - are you asking about the 2nd gen? If so I am not sure what it maybe on the 2nd gen.

If you are 2st gen then you should replace the thermal resistor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
@dribak - are you asking about the 2nd gen? If so I am not sure what it maybe on the 2nd gen.

If you are 2st gen then you should replace the thermal resistor.
Did you mean to say, "If you are 1st gen then you should replace the thermal resistor?"

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yep!. I say it should be the first part you replace because they all go bad. Sort of like the knock sensor. If your compressor is kicking in and out you should just replace this part. Why? because you 1st gen is at least 6 yrs old and have at least 60,000 miles on it. And if I am wrong you replaced a part the only costs 35$ to begin with and it's one last part you will have to replace later.

The thermal resistor has the power to turn off your compressor when it senses a temp that may cause damage to the compressor.

In all honesty the Knock Sensor and this resistor are really the only problematic items for 2003 and 2004 models.

·
Registered
260 Posts
MY air has not been blowing as cold, then today it went warm all the time, I can hear the compressor clicking frequently, could this be my problem? I charged with 3 12 oz cans of r134 but it did not help. I don't want to get hosed by someone to diagnose the problem.
Any suggestions?
Well, now you have two problems. Whatever you had before and now your systems is massively overcharged... spec. is 1.54lb +/- .11lb. So you three 12oz cans added 2.25lbs to the system plus whatever was already in there. You system has a dual pressure switch. It's probably cutting out quickly because the pressures are too high due to the overcharge.

Heath

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Well, now you have two problems. Whatever you had before and now your systems is massively overcharged... spec. is 1.54lb +/- .11lb. So you three 12oz cans added 2.25lbs to the system plus whatever was already in there. You system has a dual pressure switch. It's probably cutting out quickly because the pressures are too high due to the overcharge.

Heath
DIN DING!! You cant just cram more refrigerant in and it will work better, an AC system works on very specific pressues and amounts of refigerant. Bite the bullet and take it to a professinal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can someone confirm the part number for the "thermal resistor" or "thermal controller amplifier"?

Which is the correct one to replace behind the glove box?

2003 Nissan frontier XE 2.4L 4Cyl

From Courtesy Parts: 271 A/C Cooling Unit :: Body Electrical :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Frontier Parts (D22U) 1998-2004 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Which is the part to replace behind the glove box?

27723N Frontier SENSOR ASSY-THERMISTER

27675X Frontier THERMO CONTROL AMPLIFIER

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can someone confirm the part number for the "thermal resistor" or "thermal controller amplifier"?

Which is the correct one to replace behind the glove box?

2003 Nissan frontier XE 2.4L 4Cyl

From Courtesy Parts: 271 A/C Cooling Unit :: Body Electrical :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Frontier Parts (D22U) 1998-2004 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Which is the part to replace behind the glove box?

27723N Frontier SENSOR ASSY-THERMISTER

27675X Frontier THERMO CONTROL AMPLIFIER
Bump, anyone have the part number info for the correct part behind the glove box?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like for your truck, it would be the 27723N - Frontier SENSOR ASSY-THERMISTER
Thanks. The AC compressor doesn't seem to be releasing when i push the AC button "off", but it is automatically disgaging and engaging at times. I figure this should "fix" the issue, since it's a part that becomes defective.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2000 frontier.My friend/nissan mechanic told me how to change it. Pretty much the same way you describe it.It will be alot easier if you have small hands though.

Yes, and no...

Fist make sure they send you the correct wire number. There is a three wire and a two wire one. So check yours before you purchase. Pull the four screws from the glove box. There will be a black box behind that. On the left you will see a wire (2) or (3) running from the dash to the black box. Inside the box is a condenser. Find all the screws and open up the box. This is the tough part because the bottom of the box will not come off. (pry it apart).

I just shoved the connector back into the box and placed the new one dangling in there. I don't recommend doing that, so try to get a small flashlight, a mirror and pull the old one out and put the new one in it's place. I plan on doing this for mine too.
I had this same problem with my 2000 frontier.My friend/nissan mechanic told me how to change it. Pretty much the same way you describe it.It will be alot easier if you have small hands though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For the first time this year i used the A/C but NO cold air came out at all. I checked my compressor and it is engaging when i turn the a/c on.
Do i have a leak and all the pressure went out? Any way i can check this? thanks

1 - 20 of 58 Posts