Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dad has a 2006 Frontier 4.0 Automatic. He has a sort of whining noise that sounds like a supercharger. I looked at it and it really sounds like it is coming from the a/c compressor pulley. It does it reguardless of whether the compressor is on or not. Is it possible to replace the pulley on the compressor or will he have to replace the entire compressor? Is this a difficult job? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm getting ready to take my truck in for the same issue. Its been doing it for about the last month or so. I don't really ever use the a/c even in the San Antonio summer heat, but it is something that I want to get it fixed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know what you find out. I'm hoping I can just replace the pulley because that is what is making the noise.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
How can a component like a pulley with no moving parts make a noise? I''m just thinkin' that if it's bearings within the compressor, replacing the pulley won't help. You may want to fill a spray bottle with water and just a tiny drop of soap and spritz the serpentine belt when you hear the noise. If it quits, you may have a worn belt or a misalignment problem.

My A/C compressor makes a loud deep droning sound, but only when the compressor is in a duty cycle and only at idle. It's been like this for two summers and it still cools fine, so I figure I'll just leave it be until it fails.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My dad has a 2006 Frontier 4.0 Automatic. He has a sort of whining noise that sounds like a supercharger. I looked at it and it really sounds like it is coming from the a/c compressor pulley. It does it reguardless of whether the compressor is on or not. Is it possible to replace the pulley on the compressor or will he have to replace the entire compressor? Is this a difficult job? Thanks for any advice.
I realize this is an old post, but this sure sounds suspiciously like the secondary chains and tensioners are bad (Nissan Technican Bulletin NTB09-128 ). When my "supercharger whine" started on my truck I thought it was a pulley/bearing/fan problem, too. If you want to narrow down the source of the problem quickly, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove the serpentine belt. Crank it up and see if the whine goes away. Don't worry about overheating the engine--the water pump is internally driven by the primary timing chain (on the V6 engine).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts