Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So my A/C stopped cooling a few weeks back and I finally got around to diagnosing the problem. I tested for power at the compressor. It is getting power when the dash A/C button is on. The clutch does not engage. I am assuming a bad clutch coil.

After looking online I have only found two sources for just the clutch.
Amazon $80, and ebay $60 Link. Everybody else only sells it with a compressor. Local A/C shop wanted ~$1075 to replace the comp, cond/dryer and charge the system.

So my question is this: Has anyone done this repair on their Fronty and if so, how difficult is it to get the clutch and or pulley off the compressor? There is only one bolt on the clutch, but do I need special tools to get the clutch and pulley off? And how much disassembly necessary to access...

Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Has anyone done this repair on their Fronty and if so, how difficult is it to get the clutch and or pulley off the compressor?

There is only one bolt on the clutch, but do I need special tools to get the clutch and pulley off? ye And how much disassembly necessary to access...
Not that hard with the right tool(s):
- A/C Clutch Pulley Puller - available from loan-a-tool from local auto parts store.
- In my case, a tool (homemade) to rotate the inner snap ring so it was accessible
- Snap Ring pliers

Keep in mind, the goal was not to disconnect the A/C lines.

I removed:
- Airbox
- Engine cover
- Air duct
- Serpentine belt
- 3 bolts holding compressor to engine

Removed the allen head bolt holding the clutch on. Removed the outer snap ring. Used the Pulley Puller to remove the pulley. Used homemade tool to rotate the inner snap ring (which holds the coil on) to 3 o'clock position. Removed inner snap ring and coil. (The Nissan service manual states 3 screws hold the clutch coil on. On my 2006 it was a snap ring)

Re-assembly is reverse except I padded the pulley and tapped it gently back on.::smile::

1 - 2 of 2 Posts