Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A/C Bogging resulting in shifting at higher RPM?

Just a curious thing I noticed today. I know that the A/C sucks power, but I was wondering if any of the other stick shift guys have noticed, or had the issue of having to shift at a higher RPM when using the A/C compared to regular, non A/C driving?

Usually when I'm not hustling her, I shift at about 2500 or so. I noticed today that to get a nice smooth shift with my A/C on I was shifting at about 3000. For me it's always seemed to shift a little smoother at a higher RPM, but I was banging around all weekend without the A/C on and was shifting smooth as butter at 2500.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, the ac will bog u down a little, especially at those low rpms. I'm usually running 3 -5K and still turn off the ac when I'm running up. AC off, blower on.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think it was too out of whack but I figured I'd run it by the forum and see what thoughts were out there. thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can tell when my AC is on and I run an underdrive crank pulley. Normally I avoid using the AC but it's been hot here (for Massachusetts anyways) for about a week. So, yeah I'm feeling the AC suck my MPGs away too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
With the AC on the engine has to supply power to the alternator to generate power for the AC clutch, condenser and evaporator fans. Along with power transfer to the compressor. I wonder how many HP it adds up to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts