Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this basket case back together today. Bought it with bent valves. Removed the head and replaced all 8 intake valves. Assembled the engine and timed the came accordingly. It seems to only want to run with the distributor fully clockwise and beyond with the 2 mount bolts removed. The distributor shaft only goes in one way. What did I do wrong and is it an easy fix?
Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe its the wrong cap?
The previous owner was backing in his driveway when the chain broke. He had already did a complete tune up prior to chain breaking. So it is the correct cap since it was running.
Also, I have a diagram showing that number one on the distributor cap is at 1 oclock then 2, 4 and 3.
My Haynes manual shows number 1 on the cap being at about 7:30
What is correct?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
My #1 is at 12 o'clock, but its a 98 and I don't know if there was difference.

However, you're saying you have to advance it so I'm going to guess that your distributor is off by a tooth or two.

Pull the distributor out and advance it one tooth, reinsert it, and see if you now have the rotor pointing at the #1 connector on the cap. That's what I would do anyway. I know it can be hard to get the timing marks on a distributor just right. :)

Are you using the process in the manual for setting the timing? Its not just a timing light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it figured out! I set TDC, removed oil pump and shaft, set the distributor on #1, installed shaft until it was set with flat side toward engine, installed the oil pump and all is good to go! Runs awesome.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually you cannot do a tooth at a time since the mating of the drive shaft and distributor are offset so they can only align one way. In order to set it right you have to remove the distributor drive shaft, set the rotor on #1 on the cap, slide the drive shaft in and out until the flats line up. Install the oil pump and that's it. You won't find that in the maintenance book. It's not like a normal set up where you lift the distributor and go a tooth at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts