Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now removed atleast 3 of these in my hunt for a new manifold. every single one has a catylitic converter mounted just below the manifold. it seems that all of these "converters" are stopped up and have cracked the manifold causing a drastic loss in power. I felt is was a good idea to bring this up with the rest of you guys with this engine. I plan on getting a header for it now.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone tried a header from a 240sx w/ the KA24DE motor?
I dont like the only other option, paceshitter.

There are several on Ebay that are SS and look like they may work for us.
Header on Ebay

I'm looking for more low & mid torque so these long tube 4-2-1 would fill that bill just dont know what it takes to make them fit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a stopped up cat is the reason my manifold cracked?
As 1stmax said, heat is the reason your manifold is cracked. there is not enough air flow through the "stopped up" cat which in return causes friction leading to heat which causes metal to expand/contract wrather rapidly depending on how differentiated the air can flow through the cat. The number 1 and 2 cylinders are joined together(1 having to flow past 2 to get to the main down pipe)causing over heating in in that part of the manifold.
It is my guess that the majority of 4bangers w/ cracked manifolds are cracked atleast once (maybe twice) between cylinders 1 and 2. I am sure a 240sx header will work. the shorty style is not recomended for low torque.

·
Registered
925 Posts
When I owned my 98 Frontier 4cyl., my manifold cracked and I just replaced it with a Pacesetter header. It was cheap and made more power. I no longer own the truck but I know the guy who does and the header is still holding up after 4 yrs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone tried a header from a 240sx w/ the KA24DE motor?
I dont like the only other option, paceshitter.

There are several on Ebay that are SS and look like they may work for us.
Header on Ebay

I'm looking for more low & mid torque so these long tube 4-2-1 would fill that bill just dont know what it takes to make them fit.
It will not fit.

The torsion bar is in the way.

My Exhaust Manifold cracked between the #2 and #3 cylinders, and it was throwing a CEL for cylinder #4 misfire... :censor:

I tried a stock 240SX Exhaust manifold (from a '91, which is a 4-2-1 from the factory).. and it hit the torsion bar...

I ended up going with the Pacesetter unit... which has held up for 3 years and 85,000 miles

You might get the '95-'98 240sx "Shorty" header to fit with a custom down pipe..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts