Nissan Frontier Forum banner

9 Volt Tap?

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Newman 
#1 ·
Is there anywhere on the truck where I can tap into 9 volts?

I'm making my own camera system and it requires 9v not 12v.

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
If the source is constant 12v (as in, voltage doesn't dip much under load) and you've got some diodes lying around, you can use them in lieu of a regulator. A silicon diode typically has a voltage drop somewhere around 0.7v. Put 4 of them in series and you're in business.

If you decide to use a regulator, something that looks like this will be cheaper and smaller than a switchmode DC/DC converter like the one q-ball posted.

#10 ·
you will probably find something similar if you crack open just about any dc voltage supply. the switched one you plug in to a car will have a resistor on each switch position to control the output voltage.
I built a voltage supply with one of those in junior college. use a potentiometer to adjust the voltage.

#9 ·
I've been hackin' up old Cell phone car cords for my 12v to ???... Just an idea.

#16 ·
See if your camera supports above 9v.. Lots of the little mini surveillance cameras and video components, receivers, transmitters, hardwired cameras, etc.. that run on 9v batteries, always come with 12v AC/DC power supplies even though it says "9v" on the device it self. They may have their own regulators inside.

#23 ·
I would run a dedicated wire from the battery with an inline fuse. Then put a rheostat in line so you could adjust the voltage and lock it in. I wouldn't tap into the vehicle, simply because it could affect the ECM or other items in any particular circuit. Plus the voltage output from the alternator drops accordingly, when loads are not called for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.