Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok 2020-2022 guys with the new 9 speed tranny that takes the new Matic P fluid.....
The transmisson is manufactured by Jatco licensed by Mercedes to virualy copy the MB 9-G tronic transmission.
I did some research and found a possible candidate for our Nissan Matic P fluid that is ok by Merdedes for their 9-tronic. Look this over and tell me your thoughts. Would you use it when the time comes?
Also, can an equal fluid exchange be done throught the transmission cooler lines on ours or do wee HAVE to get on Nissans CONSULT machine to do it? ATF Fluid - RAVENOL M 9-G Serie Fluid

·
Registered
113 Posts
While under warranty, use only the specified fluids. Except for oil, I would get any other needed fluids from the dealer, it doesn't really cost much more, unless your dealer is a long way away. To me, if the difference between the dealer price and the parts store price is less than the cost of a tank of gas, then the savings is just not worth the hassle.

The CONSULT is for measuring the condition of the ATF. If you are having them do the oil change, see if they will plug in the CONSULT to check the ATF for free. Actually they should do this for free regardless under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Part of that act says that if a required maintenance can only be done at a dealership, then it must be provided free. The dealer can get around this by making any required dealer only tools or equipment available for a reasonable rental fee.

As for ATF exchange, you would need the FSM to see what the procedures are. I suspect that it is a typical drain and fill, flushing not recommended, and the only thing the CONSULT does is read the ATF temperature. For that, there may be other readers that can do that as ATF is on the CAN network for many vehicles. Some people just use a non-contact IR thermostat for this.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
I always used a high quality aftermarket synthetic ATF for all my cars (not frontier as it is a manual). All the top vendors make a compatible fluid: amsoil, redline even Maxlife is very good stuff. I generally do the first drain and fill at around 60K.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The Mercedes transmission is the drivetrain wild card. It has been used in other vehicles so concern should not be foremost. This thread pertains to changing the fluid which should be at least 30 k miles. Of interest is the pan of the transmission which must be replaced with each fluid change. In addition, special tools are needed to unlock certain gates which releases fluid from the upper parts of the transmission. Are these two steps also needed for the '22?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts