Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an 04 Frontier. It's 2Wd with the V6. I have 85,000 miles on the truck and still love it. The only things i've had to do in the last few years was tires, brakes, and a battery. I'm planning on keeping this truck for a while. So what all would everyone reccomend doing for a good 85,000 service? I know my belts will need replacing soon. They are starting to look a little dry. Any other "must do" services?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd change the plugs, cap, and rotor. Flush the coolant. Change the tranny and rear fluids.
I'm sure most will disagree with me, but a higher mileage transmission I wouldn't flush. If it's working great then let it alone. I've seen too many pop after a higher mileage transmission fluid flush.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'm sure most will disagree with me, but a higher mileage transmission I wouldn't flush. If it's working great then let it alone. I've seen too many pop after a higher mileage transmission fluid flush.
LOL- I disagree. I recommend what the manual says. Changing it at 80,000 should be fine.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd change the tranny fluid by disconnecting the line at the radiator and let the tranny pump itself out, 3 or 4 quarts at a time. Do this 3 or 4 times using Amsoil fluid and you'd be good for the next 80K. I wouldn't put it on a flush machine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
An ATF change at 200k is even FINE, *if* you have been on top of changes up to that point. But if by 200k that's only the second change, then you're doing more harm than good.

In your case I wouldn't see a problem doing a change at 80k. Just don't cheap on the fluid.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'd change the tranny fluid by disconnecting the line at the radiator and let the tranny pump itself out, 3 or 4 quarts at a time. Do this 3 or 4 times using Amsoil fluid and you'd be good for the next 80K. I wouldn't put it on a flush machine.

I did mine that way. Unhook one of the tubes going to the radiator from the transmission (put the unhooked tube into a bottle). Turn on the truck let it fill up. Turn off the truck and add some in the same quantity that came out. Turn on the truck again, and do the same over and over again. I did it till the color of the fluid was as red going in as it was coming out. Just remeber that once you hear the sound of bubbles coming out you need to turn off the truck. This sounds means the oil in tranny is getting low and pulling air.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I join the list of disagreers.
I drain the pan every other oil change.

as far as maintenance. give it a good look over too, rear differential fluid is probably due for a change too. Mine gets it every 50K(ish).

If you haven't gone synthetic, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. synthetic may break sludge up and cause other problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.