Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be demanding right off the bat, but here goes...hello by the way!

I've been wanting a Crew cab SE 4x4 frontier since the redesign in 2005. Here's the dilema and it might be a dealbreaker for me so I'm hoping you can help me out.

Who has a 8' wide garage door and uses it regulary? I can't figure they'd design the frontier to NOT fit in an 8' wide door, but is it easy? Could someone measure their truck's width WITH mirrors for me. I can only seem to find the spec without mirrors of 72.8" After I take in to account the trim, etc. around my garage door I have a working width of 93".

I'm ready to buy, but this just popped in my head after my brother-in-law talked about how his chrysler pacifica barely fits...kinda scared me! Anyway, here it is 2:45 am and had to say hello and I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i can't park my truck in my garage, it's too long for it. my wife parks her car in and the other side of the garage is occupied by my kids' bikes. you should be fine with 93" of space, you will still have 6 or 8" of clearance on each side, it will just be tight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... My garage is just long enough...I have 18" to spare. My driveway is on a slight hill so I usually avoid parking on it. I have no doubt can fit it if I fold the driver's side mirror in...just thinking that might get old after awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm still teatering on making the decision to buy. I'm sure I'll be making a decision in the next few days. I'm sure I'll love the truck I'm just trying to work out the price/etc. with the dealer and justify in my mind returning to car payments! Haven't had those in years! (I've been lucky and have kept my cars long enough to pay them off)

This is a great forum. Some cars/brands don't seem to have much of a following. My wife drives a Mazda 3 and they have a great forum for that car. I take it as a great sign there is an active frontier forum and wouldn't dream of buying a vehicle without researching the forums for issues, etc. for that particular vehicle. The frontier seems solid truck. Hopefully I'll report back as an owner soon.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah you'll have about 8" of spare room to play with. I have a 9' wide by 7' high door and I have no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Got two things to say:

First - Welcome to the club!

Second - If you decide you want to buy it, tell the dealer they don't have a deal until you get to drive it home and see if it fits in the garage. My dad has done this with the last 3 trucks he has bought.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Got two things to say:

First - Welcome to the club!

Second - If you decide you want to buy it, tell the dealer they don't have a deal until you get to drive it home and see if it fits in the garage. My dad has done this with the last 3 trucks he has bought.
X2 Welcome to the club. You should be just fine but yes it will be tight. We need electric folding mirrors like a Navigator but... Maybe one day. Thought of doing it myself, it wouldn't be hard.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
X2 Welcome to the club. You should be just fine but yes it will be tight. We need electric folding mirrors like a Navigator but... Maybe one day. Thought of doing it myself, it wouldn't be hard.
The Navara and and overseas Pathfinder already has them as an option.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
I went outside opened my windows and measured the mirrors tip to tip. The spread is 84 inches. As long as you watch the mirror next to you and keep it close, the far side will have plenty of room.
Now go buy it and post up your ownership experience. Pictures too!
Good luck.

Clint

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
... Who has a 8' wide garage door and uses it regulary?...
I thought I was the only vehicle buyer who was concerned about details like this! Our garage floor is currently marked up with chalk lines as we analyze various cars for my wife. We insist on garaging our vehicles each night, so length and width matter. We have one 18' wide garage door, but length is a major concern. One of my prime reasons for choosing Frontier is that it's the shortest mid-size Crew Cab. Widthwise, Tacoma is wider and Colorado is narrower. You might want to look at the Coly for its lesser width, but I think the Frontier is a better choice.

With today's barn-sized vehicles, I'm surprised I don't read questions like yours more often.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd also recommending driving it home and testing the fit. I did that with both my Frontier and a Quad Cab Ram. Glad I did, because the lengths played a major role in my vehicle choice. Ram only had about 12" of total clearance which would have made it impossible to walk around and rendered my garage relatively useless.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went outside opened my windows and measured the mirrors tip to tip. The spread is 84 inches. As long as you watch the mirror next to you and keep it close, the far side will have plenty of room.
Now go buy it and post up your ownership experience. Pictures too!
Good luck.

Clint
Clint you ROCK! My current SUV is 83" tip-tip so that puts me at ease!:fantastic:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I thought I was the only vehicle buyer who was concerned about details like this! Our garage floor is currently marked up with chalk lines as we analyze various cars for my wife. We insist on garaging our vehicles each night, so length and width matter. We have one 18' wide garage door, but length is a major concern. One of my prime reasons for choosing Frontier is that it's the shortest mid-size Crew Cab. Widthwise, Tacoma is wider and Colorado is narrower. You might want to look at the Coly for its lesser width, but I think the Frontier is a better choice.

With today's barn-sized vehicles, I'm surprised I don't read questions like yours more often.
Well I have a story behind why I'm like that: My neighbor who has the same model home as I do bought a Dodge Dakota crew cab. When he brought it home I watched him try and fit it in his garage over and over again getting more and more P/Oed. I quietly snuck away and pretended I didn't notice. He parks it outside every night. It actually works for him because now he puts his mustle car in there... but MAN did that lesson sink in for me.

A few years ago I was into Toyota Tacomas before they blew them up to "mid-size" too... It's a damn shame nobody makes a small crewcab like that anymore.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One side of my garage has an 8' door and I park there just fine. The mirrors do come close but you just gotta watch it on your side.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
... My neighbor who has the same model home as I do bought a Dodge Dakota crew cab. ...
Yes, Dakota is very long. I don't think one would fit in my garage at all.

I should have mentioned that my "handle" on this form is linked to this very topic. It's Fitz Ingarage, as in "Fits In Garage". ;-)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Borrowed the truck....it fit great!! Thanks for the advice. I am the now the proud owner of a armor grey SE crew shortbed. Picks to follow of it sitting in the garage, but right now we've got some NASTY rain here in SE Pennsylvania! Thanks to everyone!
Todd

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. We knew once you had a measurement you'd buy it soon.
Best of luck with it!

Clint

1 - 20 of 30 Posts