Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out my plugs this morning with the help of the DIY stickie and it took me about 1hr and 15 min! I was looking at my old plugs and thought they looked a little spent,so I took some pictures and want to know what you think about the wear for 70k. By the way thanks for all the help off this forum you guys have saved me a ton of money!! Also I replaced them with NGK Laser series Platinum plugs that should have been pre gapped to .44 and the closest one was about .35. SO be sure to always check your gap.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I don't think they look that bad.
I've seen plugs where the electrode and ground are melted down to nothing.
Those actually look like they have a bit more life left in them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm comparing them to the plugs I took out of my wifes 06 Accord EX with the 3.0 vTec last week. It also has 70k on it ,but her plugs were Denso Iridium plugs. Which probably should look better at 7Ok than a Platinum plug now that I think about it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I changed out my plugs this morning with the help of the DIY stickie and it took me about 1hr and 15 min! I was looking at my old plugs and thought they looked a little spent,so I took some pictures and want to know what you think about the wear for 70k. By the way thanks for all the help off this forum you guys have saved me a ton of money!! Also I replaced them with NGK Laser series Platinum plugs that should have been pre gapped to .44 and the closest one was about .35. SO be sure to always check your gap.
First off, there is no such thing as "pre gapped plugs". They all have a gap, but being that the particular plug you use, may cover a wide range of other applications, doesn't mean it will have the gap you need for your application. You are correct in saying, "always check your gap". Your old plugs look they could have easily gone the full 100K without a problem. No soot, carbon, oil, just a light tan deposit, PERFECT!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I think they look like they still have quite a few miles in them.
engine is running good too. light brown or grey soot, no carbon or oily buildup.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
That is normal for Iridium's. Compared to old school plugs, they look worn but that is how new ones look. Correct color is tan, reinstall them and use them to 100,000 mi.
Don't forget to use some anti-seize on the threads when you put them back in.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah those are like the text book example of how plugs should look, you engine is running perfect really. those could have went another 30k miles easy. how did the plugs in your wifes car look when you changed them, just curious

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I purchased the plugs I was told they were pre gapped. I didn't ask questions because I knew that I was going to set it anyway. I didn't get any good pictuers of the plugs out of my Accord,but here is what I do have. I will see if I can dig them up and get a good picture. And yes I put anti-seize on the threads and di-electrical grease on the end. I was shocked at how easy my plugs came out. Maybe they will come out easy at the 170k spark plug change! I will leave these in for 100k after learning that my old ones had some life left.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice work d and cool that they still had some mileage left I have to this to my truck just I have read the DYI stick serveral times and it is over whelming to me but know that I will save bucks I will get it done.
But quick question I see how you changed them at 70 and they could easly have another 30K miles put on them.

Would it be safe to say that one can change the spark plugs at 100K???
Any who can answer this???
sorry for the jack.....

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Nice work d and cool that they still had some mileage left I have to this to my truck just I have read the DYI stick serveral times and it is over whelming to me but know that I will save bucks I will get it done.
But quick question I see how you changed them at 70 and they could easly have another 30K miles put on them.

Would it be safe to say that one can change the spark plugs at 100K???
Any who can answer this???
sorry for the jack.....

Im 99.9% sure that that is the recommended interval.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had owned the truck the since new I would have waited until 100k,but I have put the plugs in and they are not coming out this time for 100k!. As for the it looking like a overwhelming project. It is much easier than you would think. I timed it and have never taken the intake off. It took 1hr 15min to get my tools out,do the job and put the tools up. I would say go for it and save the money. I was thinking that it would be a hard job and it was pretty simple.I dug the plugs from the Accord out of the trash ( well 4 of them anyway). They definitley could have made it 100k plus. Here goes a few pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just changed mine this weekend after 124K miles. They looked good, but were ready to be changed. I noticed a big difference after the change. Not too hard to do. Way better than my minivan.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You should have seen the plug on my '04 4.7l WJ (Grand Cherokee) when I replaced them at 65k miles. There was nothing left to them, I have no idea how it still ran as smoothly as it did. It used copper plugs that were supposed to be changed out every ~30k miles. I bought it used with 62k miles on it...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You should have seen the plug on my '04 4.7l WJ (Grand Cherokee) when I replaced them at 65k miles. There was nothing left to them, I have no idea how it still ran as smoothly as it did. It used copper plugs that were supposed to be changed out every ~30k miles. I bought it used with 62k miles on it...
copper plugs make an amazing spark and you can actually gap the s**t out of them and still get a good spark every time and get a more efficient burn but they start to deform in the 15-20k mile range depending on how hard you are on the vehicle

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did anyone's mpg go up???

·
Registered
590 Posts
i dunno if the mileage went up for these guys, but when i changed the spark plugs and air filter on my bike, all i can say is wow to the difference. bike used to get about 125 miles before kicking on the low fuel light. other day i was at 160 something. i think i rode it to like 180 miles and got 42.xx average. beats the hell out of the 34 or so i had been getting. sure some of it was the air filter, but i know replacing the plugs had to help too. cant wait to change them on the frontier

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Did anyone's mpg go up???
if the old plugs were worn to hell causing the gap to be to large you might see a difference in MPG but where you would really notice it is in power. you should have seen the plugs that came out of the ol ladys WJ. think she gained 2 MPG and a lot more power since a couple of the plugs gap was so wide i didnt have a single feeler gauge that would touch both sides. no wonder her heep had been running like crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts