Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier S Crew Cab 4WD 6cyl Short bed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a hitch and bought the OEM wiring harness for towing, but noticed there's no place for the plug on the bumper of the 2016 Frontier S (4 L / 6 cyl).

Am I stuck with mounting it on a bracket below the bumper?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I added a hitch and bought the OEM wiring harness for towing, but noticed there's no place for the plug on the bumper of the 2016 Frontier S (4 L / 6 cyl).

Reactions: kc-guy

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
296 Posts

Factory location is down below, the factory hitch has a bracket for you to bolt it to. Many, myself included, relocate it to the bumper. I chose to go with a Hopkins combo 4 & 7 way since I usually use 4 way. Nice to have the option for both, no more using the 7 to 4 adapter like I used to. The 7/4/5 connector that Ryan posted is nice too.

It certainly looks much better up in the bumper than it ever did hanging down below, off to the side.

·
Super Moderator
3,835 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
You could just get a 7-pin to 4-pin or 5-pin converter:

This is an option too, but Murphy being the ba$tard he is, you'd either loose / misplace it or leave it home the only time you needed it. Mine's built right into the bumper, so it's either there, or it's not.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier S Crew Cab 4WD 6cyl Short bed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fun fact: what we now call Murphy's Law was conceived in the late 1940s, during experiments on the effects of high G-forces on humans.

During one of the tests, the sensors were improperly calibrated. Murphy blamed his assistant, saying: "If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way".

In other words, Murphy's Law is more fully stated: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. And it's probably because of that bastard over there.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Fun fact: what we now call Murphy's Law was conceived in the late 1940s, during experiments on the effects of high G-forces on humans.

During one of the tests, the sensors were improperly calibrated. Murphy blamed his assistant, saying: "If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way".

In other words, Murphy's Law is more fully stated: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. And it's probably because of that bastard over there.
I had read somewhere that it was testing sensors for an experimental explosive or explosives configuration, but regardless, it definitely still applies, which is why when I use multiple multi-pin connectors for an electrical assembly, I install one set of male and one set of female to each device and harness, making it impossible to reassemble backwards. I don't like Murphy much, he visits waaaay too often.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
296 Posts
This is an option too, but Murphy being the ba$tard he is, you'd either loose / misplace it or leave it home the only time you needed it. Mine's built right into the bumper, so it's either there, or it's not.
Agreed. I ran the adapter for a little while and it works for sure, but if ever the situation arose where I didn’t immediately put it back where it belongs after using it, I’d be screwed next time, guaranteed. Much better to just have both options all the time no matter what. Especially since the majority of us only ever use the 4 way anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts