Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read many threads on the topic of 6spd gear oil and the "sure thing" is Nissan MTF. I had some free time yesterday and thought I'd pick some up from the dealer in town and get it over with. Unfortunately I was stumped because they want $37.50 per quart! I found I can get it through Amazon for $20.70 per quart with free shipping which is what I'm leaning towards.

However I also found Motul Gear 300 75w90 for $25.40/quart with free shipping, it is GL4/Yellow metal compatible. 350z/370z guys are using it and consider it an upgrade from the Nissan MTF. Anyone here ever tried it in a Frontier? I can't justify Redline/Amsoil prices so I've ruled them out completely.

Our transmission holds 4.25 quarts or so yes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I have read many threads on the topic of 6spd gear oil and the "sure thing" is Nissan MTF. I had some free time yesterday and thought I'd pick some up from the dealer in town and get it over with. Unfortunately I was stumped because they want $37.50 per quart! I found I can get it through Amazon for $20.70 per quart with free shipping which is what I'm leaning towards.

However I also found Motul Gear 300 75w90 for $25.40/quart with free shipping, it is GL4/Yellow metal compatible. 350z/370z guys are using it and consider it an upgrade from the Nissan MTF. Anyone here ever tried it in a Frontier? I can't justify Redline/Amsoil prices so I've ruled them out completely.

Our transmission holds 4.25 quarts or so yes?
Hit off your local parts store and pick up the cheapest stuff you can find. It's gear oil, as long as it's not leaking and you service it regularly, you'll be fine.

I never split hairs over oil. I worked for Honda and Toyota, they used to buy the cheapest recycled bulk 5-20 and 5-30 money could buy. Even if you go to the dealer to have the service done, unless they say so, there's no guarantee you'll get Nissan fluid. Just get the right weight, save the cash.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but I was referring to motor oil, 5-20 & 5-30. The gear oil at Toyota came out of a giant tool on wheels we hooked an air line up to, pumped it into the rears with an oil drain under it. Probably the cheapest crap money could buy, for the highest price you could pay for a diff service.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
However I also found Motul Gear 300 75w90 for $25.40/quart with free shipping, it is GL4/Yellow metal compatible. I can't justify Redline/Amsoil prices so I've ruled them out completely.
Redline is $16.95/quart MSRP for their 75w90. Amsoil $16.4
I am currently running amsoil. Works good.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I have never used Nissan's MTF. Am told that from the factory they use a cheaper oil and that MFT is an upgrade. Personally I do not like any manufacture oil. I don't think they use the highest quality. Just something that is good enough to keep cost down. I am a redline fan. Had shifting issues in another nissan that the redline cured. I just had a line on Amsoil and tried it. Been in my tranny since 30K (now at 80). Shifts good. A little notchy if very cold and the RPMs are too low (syncros not spun up the the right matching speeds).

I would think that 25$/quart is way too much to spend. When a very good option exist at $15/quart
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-503...8&qid=1485801757&sr=8-2&keywords=redline+MT90

I think I got my amsoil for closer to $13/quart.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The prices I posted are in CAD, I tried to track down some Castrol Syntrans (Syntorq LT) which is supposedly what the Nissan MTF is but no one has heard if it. Haven't come across Amsoil or Redline for any less than $45+ per quart but I have more places I could call.

I think I will try the Motul, worst case I dump it and use it in my front diff for a couple intervals. Every review I've seen on it is positive in regards to shift quality. I just haven't found anyone with a Frontier or Xterra that's tried it.

Of course every parts shop I call says just use "x" oil, it's good stuff! And looks like me like I'm an idiot when I try to explain.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone verify the capacity of a 6spd manual in a Pro-4x? The owners manual in my truck is incorrect.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Have you changed your MTF yet? I had come across the same types of reviews you had regarding Motul 300 when researching fluids a couple years back, but I had dismissed it because I didn't realize it was indeed "yellow metal safe."

Anyway, when I picked up drivetrain fluids the other day at my local Summit Racing store, I saw that they had the Motul and decided to give it a try. Redline was always good, but maybe this was better?

Nope, definitely not. It's pretty awful actually. Shifting feels much stiffer and notchier than before. I would really suggest not using Motul in your transmission.

Redline or genuine Nissan MTF are the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you changed your MTF yet? I had come across the same types of reviews you had regarding Motul 300 when researching fluids a couple years back, but I had dismissed it because I didn't realize it was indeed "yellow metal safe."

Anyway, when I picked up drivetrain fluids the other day at my local Summit Racing store, I saw that they had the Motul and decided to give it a try. Redline was always good, but maybe this was better?

Nope, definitely not. It's pretty awful actually. Shifting feels much stiffer and notchier than before. I would really suggest not using Motul in your transmission.

Redline or genuine Nissan MTF are the way to go IMO.
Damn! Thanks for the review. If it wasn't for the weather I would have ordered it already. Looks like Nissan MTF is what I'll end up with.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a 2005 Xterra that was a 6 speed. I always used Nissan MTF. It had 160,000KM when I sold it and shifted like it did the day I bought it, which is smooth.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only other oil I can find locally is 75w90 Royal Purple Max gear. Anyone tried it? A couple people on thenewx forum have said it works but the posts are old and not detailed.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
^GL-4/yellow metal safe?

I'd probably stick with a tried and true, even if you have to order it. I think I may have wasted $100 on MTF because I'm on the verge of changing mine out again. Our transmissions are so darn picky.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^GL-4/yellow metal safe?

I'd probably stick with a tried and true, even if you have to order it. I think I may have wasted $100 on MTF because I'm on the verge of changing mine out again. Our transmissions are so darn picky.
Nissan MTF Seems to be the sure thing.

Read into the Royal Purple 75w90 further and my opinion is it will be too thick and won't work good. It is GL4/GL5 rated and safe for yellow metals. Don't think it's worth the $125 to find out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked up some Royal Purple Max Gear 75w-90 and 75w140 for my diffs, Also got Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the t-case. Couldn't find anything suitable for the gearbox so I'll be ordering Nissan MTF from Amazon.

Should be interesting to see what comes out. The Toyota dealership I bought the truck from claimed it had "new synthetic fluids all around".

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The first time I did all of my fluids (30K) the t-case and front diff came out BLACK. The rear diff and Tranny were ok. I was very surprised by this. I have since replace the t-case and the front diff (50K) and they cam out pretty clean. I assume it was either the peanut oil from the factory or break in material. The rear diff m226 has always looked a bit "silvery". I used non syn (the manual calls for syn) once in a pinch and ran it for maybe 5-10K. I feel that what was drained out was pretty clean but extra silvery. Only synthetic 140 in the rear diff.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first time I did all of my fluids (30K) the t-case and front diff came out BLACK. The rear diff and Tranny were ok. I was very surprised by this. I have since replace the t-case and the front diff (50K) and they cam out pretty clean. I assume it was either the peanut oil from the factory or break in material. The rear diff m226 has always looked a bit "silvery". I used non syn (the manual calls for syn) once in a pinch and ran it for maybe 5-10K. I feel that what was drained out was pretty clean but extra silvery. Only synthetic 140 in the rear diff.
Just finished doing my diffs and t-case, Everything was dark but otherwise decent, magnets picked up a lot of fine particles but no concerns. Next weekend I'll do the transmission oil and power steering fluid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts