Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my MT fluid a while back and went with some redline mt90 full syn. Afterwards the tranny was much more sensitive to rpm variences, cold and engagement. I want to get this fluid out sooner rather than later and was wondering what you guys out there have had good luck with. By the way, are we supposed to be useing plain old gear oil, or are you supposed to find something with a syncro additive?? The redline fluid I used claimed better syncro operation< but I think it made it much worse. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thanks Sammy

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
4 years ago I had a 2001 XE. I used Mobil1 gear oil and had the same issues.
The Nissan tech I spoke with said the truck transmission from Nissan were like that. The manual calls for GL4 but that is very hard to find because it's been superseded by GL5.
I used Nismo gear oil in my Skyline, it's made by Motul and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Check your dealer out for Nissan genuine MTF. Not really expensive about 7 bucks a qt, and worked better than the factory fill

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I've run MT90 for the past 60k with no problems. going to be swapping it out again for the same soon too...(though I was considering MT-85, just need to verify that it's GL4 and available locally)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Amsoil sell a synthetic GL-4 that works well in these trannys.
I used the Amsoil 75W90 GL-4 in mine, and I don't think it shifts as smooth as stock. During most driving it is fine, but it is sometimes hard to get into 1st or Reverse. I may switch back to the Nissan fluid soon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I used the Amsoil 75W90 GL-4 in mine, and I don't think it shifts as smooth as stock. During most driving it is fine, but it is sometimes hard to get into 1st or Reverse. I may switch back to the Nissan fluid soon.
Same here. It's a ***** notchy upshifting into 2nd gear for me.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Same here. It's a ***** notchy upshifting into 2nd gear for me.
I used Nissan MTF when I changed my fluid at 45k and it was better than the factory fill, but I still have issues when the tranny is cold during winter months. Going from 2nd to 1st seems to be the most problematic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use the amsoil GL-4 gear oil in the transmission, haven't seen any problems once the engine warms up and the rpm's settle down.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've run MT90 for the past 60k
Redline MT-90(GL-4) here too.
Although I only have around 37000 miles on mine.
Great stuff.

I changed my MT fluid a while back and went with some redline mt90 full syn. Afterwards the tranny was much more sensitive to rpm variences, cold and engagement. I want to get this fluid out sooner rather than later and was wondering what you guys out there have had good luck with. By the way, are we supposed to be useing plain old gear oil, or are you supposed to find something with a syncro additive?? The redline fluid I used claimed better syncro operation< but I think it made it much worse. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thanks Sammy
Wait are you a 2nd Gen?

·
Registered
473 Posts
75W-85 is what the manual calls for on the 6MT... I had a bit of trouble finding the right fluid. I had it changed at a jiffylube and the gears would grind when cold using 75W-90 conventional.

I called the dealer and asked what the fluid was and they said 75w 90. So went out and bough $130 worth of military grade synthetic only to have the same problem again. with grinding in the cold. I called back and complained and they denied even telling what fluid to use!! I guess I'm a liar!?

There seems to be some confusion on what oil to use, but if you dig deep in your manual it will tell you 75W-85, I ended up buying the OE Nissan trans fluid (75W-85) and mixed it with 25% Lucas and and no more grinding on cold starts! It made a big difference and its much happier now

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am just curies why would you bother to change a fluid in your tranny at all? Factory manual recommended to check oil level first time after 100,000 miles. Just check not to change. My truck has 169,000. Have had no problem yet. Should I do something? Or just keep out of trouble?

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I am just curies why would you bother to change a fluid in your tranny at all? Factory manual recommended to check oil level first time after 100,000 miles. Just check not to change. My truck has 169,000. Have had no problem yet. Should I do something? Or just keep out of trouble?
According to my manual, at 30K miles or 24 months, you should "Replace (not just inspect) oil/fluid if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads." That's transmission fluid, front and rear diff fluid, and T-case fluid.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's VERY IMPORTANT to not use a GL5 gear lube in your manual transmission that calls for GL4. Most modern gear oils for axles are way too slick to allow the synchros to spin up and engage fast.

That being said I've run both a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MT-90 and also now currently running Amsoil MTG in my 6 spd. Essentially, they both perform quite poorly when the transmission is cold and when the gearbox is warm it still shifts a little notchy and grinds once in awhile, but I think that is the nature of this tranny.

I might try genuine Nissan MTF 75w-85 from the dealer next time, but I like having the better synthetic fluid in there for the gears. I'm considering trying the new MT-85 that Redline just released for trannies calling for 85 weight gear oil.

Motul is good stuff if you can afford it: Euro Synthetic Oils - Motul Gear & Transmission Oils

75W-85 is what the manual calls for on the 6MT... I had a bit of trouble finding the right fluid. I had it changed at a jiffylube and the gears would grind when cold using 75W-90 conventional.

I called the dealer and asked what the fluid was and they said 75w 90. So went out and bough $130 worth of military grade synthetic only to have the same problem again. with grinding in the cold. I called back and complained and they denied even telling what fluid to use!! I guess I'm a liar!?

There seems to be some confusion on what oil to use, but if you dig deep in your manual it will tell you 75W-85, I ended up buying the OE Nissan trans fluid (75W-85) and mixed it with 25% Lucas and and no more grinding on cold starts! It made a big difference and its much happier now
What Lucas product did you use?

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is the prevailing mindset of most people today which is completely ridiculous. You can get lucky and not have any issues as you have done, I agree that happens, but for me the gambling of that is not worth it. ALL fluids degrade over time and transmission oils are no different, especially for automatics which are even more critical to keep changed IMO. I've seen a lot of people lose automatics and I ask "did you ever do ATF changes?" and they say "no, why would i need to do that?" and that is all I need to hear to explain the situation.

I change all my fluids quite regularly, including my diff oil, PS fluid, brake fluid, coolant, etc. I think brake fluid is quite critical because it is so hygroscopic and picks up water so bad rusting brake components and lines really bad.

On your truck you could probably change it and it won't hurt a thing since it's a manual, but if you had an auto i'd say keep gambling at this point. Bear in mind that changing the fluid also helps get any metal shavings and bits out with it (wipe the magnet plug clean when you change). Typically on high mileage automatics after no fluid changes new fluid just goes in and wreaks havic by breaking dirt and stuff free clogging valve bodies, etc. If kept up with regular changes to begin with the transmission would stay clean and it's the best scenario. But on your manual it'd probably be fine.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
It's VERY IMPORTANT to not use a GL5 gear lube in your manual transmission that calls for GL4. ...
Absolutely true -- thank you. Also the additive package in GL-5 formulations is is unkind to the soft metal synchros in GL-4 spec transmissions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts