Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 KC SC $cyl, M/T
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to do some long deferred preventative Maintenance on my new wife's old truck, a 2005 KC XE, with the 2.5 & 5 speed Manual.

After tracking down 3 Quarts of Redline MT-85 (a true GL-4 fluid) I eventually broke loose the fill plug on the Transmission, (from the looks of it, it'd guess it had never been done) and was quite surprised when a fairly large amount of fluid drained out of the FILL plug. I wasn't expecting it, and didn't even have my drain pan in place; so I really don't know how much came out. I'd guess a 1/2 qt, maybe more. then I got the drain plug out, and it drained as expected.

Yes, I was on level ground. Would it be logical that the factory filled them before installation, and put significantly more than 3 qts in?

Also; While doing this job on other cars, I have been able to "dip" my finger into the fill plug & feel oil. The length of the fill hole makes that very hard if not impossible on this engine. What has anyone done for this? Grab a pencil / dowel rod to see if the fluid is right? Just trust that 3 qts is right?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Also; While doing this job on other cars, I have been able to "dip" my finger into the fill plug & feel oil. The length of the fill hole makes that very hard if not impossible on this engine. What has anyone done for this? Grab a pencil / dowel rod to see if the fluid is right? Just trust that 3 qts is right?
I'd add the amount of gear oil listed in the specifications/capacities for your truck. No, I would NOT use a pencil or a dowel, maybe use a long white cable tie (you can bend these into a curve using heat). I use a pump from parts store that screws onto the gear oil container, and let the gear oil warm up in the sun to make easier to pump. I also insert a loop of copper tubing tightly into the end of the pump's plastic tube so it can hook into the fill hole and stay there while I pump.

Good time to drain and fill differential too !

·
Registered
2005 KC SC $cyl, M/T
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cusser;
I did get the Diff done yesterday as well. It had a bunch of RTV all over it, so I am quite certain that it had been done before; No trouble on that one.
I've got the little pump as well, not pleasant to do, but it does work! When I get back under & check everything in a few days, I will try a cable tie; good idea. and I'll be extra careful no to drop anything into the transmission!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I finally got to do some long deferred preventative Maintenance on my new wife's old truck, a 2005 KC XE, with the 2.5 & 5 speed Manual.

After tracking down 3 Quarts of Redline MT-85 (a true GL-4 fluid) I eventually broke loose the fill plug on the Transmission, (from the looks of it, it'd guess it had never been done) and was quite surprised when a fairly large amount of fluid drained out of the FILL plug. I wasn't expecting it, and didn't even have my drain pan in place; so I really don't know how much came out. I'd guess a 1/2 qt, maybe more. then I got the drain plug out, and it drained as expected.

Yes, I was on level ground. Would it be logical that the factory filled them before installation, and put significantly more than 3 qts in?

Pipe cleaner works; just put a 90 degree bend on the end of it.

·
Registered
2005 KC SC $cyl, M/T
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fill plug is an indicator; However, like I said, it was filled well beyond the fill plug whenever it was done last (presumably, from the factory) and after I added the recommended quantity ( I think it was 3 qts, but don't quote me) I had none left, I was unable to fill it until it overflowed. Since the threads were so long, I was also unable to verify that the level was "just below" the plug. I did open it back up a week or two later, and i was able to check the level with a bent wire, and it was indeed just below the fill hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts