Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed if my truck is parked on a incline and slot the transmission in either Reverse or Drive (depending on forward or backward incline) the truck will not hold the incline without the brake applied. If I am reversing up a hill and stop and take my foot off the brake the truck will roll forward and vice versa. Now I have had many cars with autos over the years and in fact our second car is a Mitsubishi lancer 4 sp auto and none do what the Nav does.
Is this normal for these trucks with the A5 trannie? Mines the V6 btw.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Makes sense when you consider the weight difference between the truck and your Lancer. The truck will tend to "want" to go with the grade due to the pull of gravity. I know that with my Sentra it will hold on a certain hill while in Drive and no foot on the brake but the truck needs to be held with the brake.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense when you consider the weight difference between the truck and your Lancer. The truck will tend to "want" to go with the grade due to the pull of gravity. I know that with my Sentra it will hold on a certain hill while in Drive and no foot on the brake but the truck needs to be held with the brake.
I understand tha weight thing but this is like the car just rolls like a manual with the clutch in. The hills I'm talking about are no Mt Everest just gentle slopes. My last company car was all of the same weight plus the tools/gear in the back and it would hold steeper inclines.
The stall for the converter must be the issue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must just be the way the converter is set up. Could be why the fuel economy for my auto for stop start driving is so bad compared to cruising. You require a fair bit of throttle to move the truck from a stationary position.
I had a V8 before the truck, it weighed almost the same but had better fuel economy around town!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts