Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the 5" Calmini suspension lift installed w/Hankook Dynapro ATmRF10 33.3" x 11.6" tires.

0-30mph - ride quaility seems to be good, alittle less then stock which I dont mind. Your going to lose when lifting a truck.

40mph+ - The ride seems to be really bouncy, like shakes alot up & down real fast & just gets real noticeable when you let go of the gas and let it just roll.

It's suppose to be a good lift & tire what i hear.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

I dont know if it's the lift or tire. I know its suppose to be a real hard sidewall tire, 10-ply, more for like a 1 ton truck, overkill for this truck maybe.

Would lowering tire pressure help?, maybe rebalancing the wheels again next time rotate them?, retighting lug nuts few hundred miles?, does the suspension take time to wear in?

How does your ride feel?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Check the psi in the tires. Most likly they are aired up pretty high (50+). They probably only need to be in the 35-45 range so I would start there. The harder the tire, the more it likes to bounce. I found that out when I had my new/used tires installed. They were all round 45-55psi on the ride home and it sucked. Once home, I quickly took out the gauge and lowered the psi to 35ish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are at 50psi all around. The truck sticker in the door says 35psi with those stock 31.5's. I will probably try dropping it down to 40psi and see if i notice a difference. When you have a aftermarket tires you still go by what the truck sticker says right? Its ok to take it down? Last just as long? I dont think its a wheel balance just because they just were.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The psi on the door is for the OEM rims/tires. This is a general starting point but each truck will be a little different. The only real way to check is to do the chalk test or use a pressure plate (pressure plates are pretty expensive to invest in if you are only checking tire pressure). I would drop the psi to 40 and see how it does. Also remember, too much psi will cause your wheels to bow and wear the centers as too little psi will cause the outers to wear. You have to find the middle ground for you application.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The psi on the door is for the OEM rims/tires.
I'm confused. So I go by the sticker in the door for my tire pressure. My truck was stock with 28" and now i'm at 31". If I put 25 psi in my 31" that wouldn't be enough or am I wrong? I have around 42 right now I believe.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'm confused. So I go by the sticker in the door for my tire pressure. My truck was stock with 28" and now i'm at 31". If I put 25 psi in my 31" that wouldn't be enough or am I wrong? I have around 42 right now I believe.
Please read the whole post. It states the sticker on the door is for the stock rims/tires. Its only a starting point since you need to change the psi depending on the weight of the vehicle and not all tires will be the same. The front may be more due to the weight of the motor if the bed is empty. then if the bed if full, the rears may have more.

Since you change your rims/tires, the oem specs don't work exactly for you. This is why you are now at 42psi and not the oem 25.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you have non factory size tires, larger or smaller, that happy little sticker is about as useful as boat with 3580893475 holes in it. Either do the chalk test or call the tire manufacturer and go with what they recommend.

·
Registered
384 Posts
get some coilovers from greg and call it a day

·
Registered
246 Posts
x2 on the coilovers

I have those and the UCA's from Greg with 305/70/16 tires and it seems smooth to me.......

·
Registered
162 Posts
It was the Tires. I switched to the Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T. No more bounce. It rides like a car now. lol.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
mines a little bouncy now, but my front shock are shot. look at the rating on the tire itself and go from there. not to much though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts