Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking About Purchasing A 5" Calimini Suspension Lift For My 08 4wd Nissain Frontier.
They Are Now On Sale For 1399.oo
I Have Heard Mixed Reviews About Calmini Can Anyone Tell Me What They Think About Them?

Link To Lift Im Looking At Buying Is Below
Thanks

5" Suspension

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was the first one with the 2wd kit on the first production run and I have not had any problems with it. I can't speak on the lift if your into extreme 4 wheeling but if your going for looks the kit is good minus the blue stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Im Going Mostly For Looks,, I Dont Take My Truck Out 4 Wheeling Very Much.. So You Think It Is A Good Investment?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Its your money and your truck to do what you will. And dumping money into any vehicle is not a good investment, but if it makes you like it more then its money well spent.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i've had mine on for almost a year now with no problems. i did not get a full 5 inches though , probably more like 4 - 4 1/2". still i've wheeled the truck pretty hard and has performed well. on the last trip we went on my truck out ran a f350(mostly stock), a f150 on 35's, a 4 runner on 33's, and a grand cherokee on 33's. the only dislike i have is the front diff was dropped more than i was lead to believe, but it did come with a burly skid to cover that diff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yeah i know that.. im just trying to get an idea how dependable calmini is?.. i dont have a problem spending the money for the lift.. however i do have a problem spending the money if it breaks alot, has bad reviews, doesnt instal right, hard to work with etc.. just trying to see if calmini is worth the investment or purhaps going another route

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
its a decent kit. i looked at the flab tech one also. the only thing i liked about the fabtech was the arched crossmembers. performance is gonna drop if you get bigger tires too. do yourself a favor and get the prg c/os that he has for the db kits and some rear springs. then it would perform pretty good. i took my sway bar off after i got back from wyo. it does what its supposed to do. fyi, iffn youre doin it yourself, its a biotch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(prg c/os that he has for the db kits and some rear springs.)

Im Not To Educated on Lifts Im Sorry.. What Do You Recomend As Far As These?

What Is The prg c/os?

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
the calmini lift utilizes what amount to 5" metal "hockey pucks" that move the factory struts down 5" to attain lift. in order to do this and keep the steering geometry the same and not have any control arm issues it includes new extended length spindles (similar, but not the same, as the CST 2wd lift spindles) and lowers the front diff and LCA's to correct everything. the extended radflo's replace the factory strut/hockey puck combo with a long travel coilover. this is the only way i would come close to recommending this lift. even on the roads it's better with coilovers due to superior (imo) suspension control. i also recommend 600 lb springs unless you plan on putting on a huge bumper like a shrockworks or something

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So The Calmini Suspension Lift I Posted The Link To In The Opening Thread Is Only To Get Me Started Then?

If I Bought That Kit, I Would Still Have To Purchase More To Finnalize Everything?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So The Calmini Suspension Lift I Posted The Link To In The Opening Thread Is Only To Get Me Started Then?

If I Bought That Kit, I Would Still Have To Purchase More To Finnalize Everything?

Is That Not A Complete Suspension Lift?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
should be everything.. you could upgrade it.. but if your jsut drivign on the street that is all you need.

i would say look at the fabtech there a bigger company and have a little more suport then calmini I have seel people have missign parts or brake parts and end up waiting several months to get replacement from Calmini becouse they are small they don't stock much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see the reason i was lookin at calimini over fabtech for One fabtech requires 5" backspacing on the offset of the whells, and Two fabtech is 1k more in price for pretty much the same size lift..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ya the things i mentioned are merely upgrades, but if you can afford them, get them. the calmini is a complete kit. im just waiting to get a job so i can upgrade mine. hopefully greg will update the website (prgproducts.com) like he said. any more ?'s, dont be afraid to keep em coming, but do a search first.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The Calmini 5" is an okay lift stock but there are some main parts that are not considered by most to be the best solution. One of the parts is the drop bracket. It kills your ground clearance but if you are mainly street driving, then this doesn't matter. The second part is that spacer they use on the front shock/coil assembly to gain the lift. This spacer only provides lift but does not help flex. This is why most people recommend going with a set of coilovers in the front. You can get these from PRG, ICON, etc... Heck, you might be able to find a used set here. Plus, coilovers are rebuildable so when they start to wear out, just have your local offroad shop break them down, replace the oil and o-rings and re-assemble and charge with nitrogen and you should be good to go.

Also, the Fabtech kit is not liked for some very similar reasons and the 1k extra cost isn't exactly worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you dubie i app0reciate it, so i could just purchase coilovers from prg and then not use the ones that come in this calmini kit.. how much do coilovers usually cost
/

·
Registered
563 Posts
thank you dubie i app0reciate it, so i could just purchase coilovers from prg and then not use the ones that come in this calmini kit.. how much do coilovers usually cost
/
The Calmini kit doesn't come with coilovers, it comes with spacers that simply drop down your current coilovers that some stock on the truck. What PRG sells are coilovers which are 3" longer than stock, which means you don't have to use the Calmini spacer.

I am running the Calmini kit right now with PRG upgrades, and it's been pretty good thus far. You don't really get 5" of lift, though. More like 3.5" all around I would say. However, it will be plenty for you to run a bigger tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what do i need to look for as far as prg coilovers fitting my truck and this calmini? I Dont know a whole lot about this stuff.. and i dont want to purchase the wrong prg coilovers

So if i purchased the calmini kit, and some prg coilovers i would be good to go?

·
Registered
114 Posts
is it possible to combine the calmini lift with an ome to get more than 5" of lift?
i would like to install the calmini lift to get rid off the 3" bl but keep the same height for more center clearance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts