Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In other words if I try to shift the 4x4 lever to 4 lo while in neutral or D and engine running, it'll make a loud grinding noise. But if I stop the engine and shift to 4 lo first before I start the engine and shift to D after, 4x4 will work. And while 4x4 is working and I try to shift back to park it'll grind. I'm pretty sure 4x4 isnt supposed to work like that lol. Been reading a lot about these trucks but haven't seen anyone with the same issues I'm having. BTW this is a 01 frontier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should never shift between hi and lo ranges while in drive. While shifting to 4 lo while trans is in neutral, is the truck moving? It should not be moving for 4 lo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should never shift between hi and lo ranges while in drive. While shifting to 4 lo while trans is in neutral, is the truck moving? It should not be moving for 4 lo.
Even when in neutral and I try to shift to 4 lo it'll grind so I don't even try anymore. I did get it into 4 lo once while in neutral a few days ago but once I shift to D, the truck doesn't even move.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My truck will only shift to 4L when the transmission is in P as described in the manual. When trying in N it will grind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i went to test drive the 4x4 today on my property on a little Hill. I can feel the 4x4 kick on when I shift to 4 lo then to D, but as soon I step on the gas (slowly) only the rear passenger wheel is spinning. What could be causing the front wheels not to spin?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts