Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I switched to 4x4 high and a gear grinding sound happed immediately after it was turned on. Now I can’t tell if the 4x4 hi is working but it appears that 4x4 low is working but I can’t tell if 4x4 high is working, the truck has no malfunction lights on. Is there a way to test 4x4 High?

Thanks Chuckles

·
Registered
293 Posts
To check if it is engaged, you can put it in 4hi make sure the indicator shows engaged. shut the truck off, jack up one of the front tires and try to give it a spin. If it turns by hand then it's not engaged, but if it feels like it will turn a bit then feel like gears mating, then 4x4 is engaged. Or, just hammer on the throttle and see if front tires spin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the sound is what worries me the most, because it was like a grinding then a pop. It use to feel heavy when it was engaged now it is just like the feeling for 2x4.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I only heard that kind of a sound before once. It was when a guy I was with was driving the company truck and he switched it to 4hi from 2wd when the back tires were spinning and the front tires weren't. Needless to say, sortly after a new transfer case had to get installed. He broke the shift fork and sheered off a few teeth.
I'd drain the oil and check for metal fragments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dam that sucks if the transfer case is blown, but all 4 of my tires were rolling. The sound did come from that area I am hoping that it is not the front differential. I don’t think it is the front differential because I thin 4low works.
I called the Nissan dealership and talked to them, they said to bring it in and they will check it out and try to figure out what happened, I am still under warrantee until the summer so I hope what ever is wrong is covered.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
395 Posts
any news on that? Similar noise has happened to me before, but everything still seems to be working perfect

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any news on that? Similar noise has happened to me before, but everything still seems to be working perfect
They said that everything was fine.
They said it could have been some moisture in the 4x4 solenoid that caused the noise (it was below freezing at the time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.