Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I picked up a new to me 2006 frontier SE 4x4 164000 kms (101900 miles) I bought it off a couple living on a acerage and they said it's been sitting for 4 years. I literally only paid $100. The truck had a few problems though when I drove it. I replaced the whole timing chain assembly and a new water pump because it had a terrible winding noise but it's good now. I changed all 4 brake pads and flushed all fluids. My ABS and SLIP light are on, also the Service engine soon. I am wondering if these light will cause my 4x4 not work? Id like to get it wok because it's the first snowfall here in northern Alberta.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
It's very possible. I would find out what the codes are. A generic OBD II code reader will read the engine code(s), but a scan tool capable of reading ABS codes will be needed to retrieve those codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Codes were C1101 which is my right rear abs sensor. Other codes were P0430 and P0448. I'm just wondering if these little problems will make my 4x4 not engage? Also my rear diff had a bit of play as I was looking at the rear abs sensor. Could this rear diff also play apart of it not engaging?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
The non working abs sensors will cause your 4 wheel drive to not work .... a common issue

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
At approximately $180 each sensor I'd make certain that yours is bad before trying a new one.

Clint

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are suggesting that I should see if the wires are dirty or broken first? I did have a look under their when I first read the code. It was only a quick glimpse though I didn't really look into it further.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Are suggesting that I should see if the wires are dirty or broken first? I did have a look under their when I first read the code. It was only a quick glimpse though I didn't really look into it further.
Absolutely verify the circuit path of all 4 ABS sensors. Also clean out the connectors. look if they are gummed up and spray them out well with an electrical contact cleaner. After allowing to dry, apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease, plug connector in & wipe off excess. Also, while you have them apart, the 2 wires in the sensor should be a short to eachother, and NOT a short to ground. If either of these don't check good, sensor bad.
If it still doesn't work, the ABS reluctor wheel could be dirty/gummed up.

Do you have a copy of the FSM? you can get it at Nissan Frontier Factory Service Manuals

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I checked everything and there was some really dried up mud on the connectors and wires but after cleaning them it still showed that it was a bad sensor. Tried cleaning the reluctor wheel but still didn't work, looks like I have to get a new one. I wish I could get one for $180 but I'm guessing that's only in the states? The Nissan Dealership here in Alberta are telling me it's $294 for a rear right abs sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also is there any way around the abs sensor where I can fool it and engage the 4x4? Pulling out the fuse or anything?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok so I checked everything and there was some really dried up mud on the connectors and wires but after cleaning them it still showed that it was a bad sensor. Tried cleaning the reluctor wheel but still didn't work, looks like I have to get a new one. I wish I could get one for $180 but I'm guessing that's only in the states? The Nissan Dealership here in Alberta are telling me it's $294 for a rear right abs sensor.
Most of that price difference is because of the relative value of the CAD to USD (about $1.30 CAD to $1 USD) . I'd be doing some serious hunting for that sensor if it was mine. Have you tried RockAuto or other online suppliers?

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is why, after driving 4WD vehicles for 30+ years, I much prefer the old mechanical lever-actuated transfer cases. No worries about electronics; you just yank on it and either it goes into 4WD or it doesn't. None of this "turn the knob and hope and pray it engages" crap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is why, after driving 4WD vehicles for 30+ years, I much prefer the old mechanical lever-actuated transfer cases. No worries about electronics; you just yank on it and either it goes into 4WD or it doesn't. None of this "turn the knob and hope and pray it engages" crap.
Amen brother, amen!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Maintain and repair the vehicle and the systems work just fine.
Ignore problems and you will be left with problems.
If you don't want to fix the vehicle so it works right, don't expect it to work right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts