Nissan Frontier Forum banner

4x4 Low

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Steveie 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Frontier SV, I don't go off road often but when I go to the hunting lease I use 4x4 low sometimes. Today I could not get it to go into low range, trieg it in neutral and park, tried it while rolling in neutral, low never engaged.

#2 ·
Hmmmm.... Did you engage 4 Hi before stopping, putting it in Neutral and then switch the dial to 4 Lo?

Sometimes you will need to let off the gas to get 4 Hi to engage or disengage but when shifting to 4 Lo always come to a complete stop before turning the dial to 4 Lo.

#3 ·
I had this issue once before, I figured my sequencing was out. Did as BCBrian suggested, and all worked.

You can also try engaging reverse and backing up a little ways. This solved my problem when I couldn't get the truck out of 4lo one day. (it was likely me being impatient) So take that with a grain of salt.

#5 ·
In addition to the above advice, check your battery terminals. Sounds crazy, but corrosion on terminals affects the Frontier's ECU in weird ways.

#6 ·
What I have found is that even a slight difference in air pressure in the tires can make the 4Low finicky so my trick is to lock the truck in 4High put it in drive and turn the wheels ever so slightly to the right and roll forward a feet feet then drop it in neutral and engage 4Low just as you come to a stop. If that doesn't work repeat the process but turn the wheel to the left a bit. My theory is this helps the drivetrain relieve stress from any differences in terrain or air pressures left/right front/back. Also I have found that engaging on flat terrain is best because being hard on the brakes keeps the drivetrain in a bind.

#8 ·
I had tried neutral and park, so after reading all the responses, I went out and tried again in park and then neutral, backed up about 10 feet put it in park and it went to low. That was the first time I had to do anything except put it in neutral.
Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
It tends to be a bit more difficult to get the autos to engage than the 6MTs due to the torque converter always spinning.
Here's the no-fail trick I use to get it into and out of 4lo with the 5AT;
Have 4hi engaged fully before you stop (4x indicator light solid, not flashing), full stop, shift to neutral, switch to 4lo, shift into reverse (you don't have to move in rev or even let off the brake), shift to D (or whatever range depending on what wheeling you're doing), drive away. Same thing in reverse order to take it out of 4lo. The shift into rev is all that's needed to rock the output shaft back and forth enough to allow the lo pall to engage in the t-case.

#15 · (Edited)
You guys need to read your owners manual , not the service manual:

1. Stop the vehicle.

2. For automatic transmission: Shift the shift lever to the (N) position with the brake pedal depressed.
For manual transmission: Shift the shift lever to the (N) position with the clutch depressed.

3. For automatic transmission: Depress and turn the 4WD shift switch to 4LO or 4H with the brake pedal depressed.
For manual transmission: Depress and turn the 4WD switch to 4LO or 4H with the clutch pedal depressed.

To change into or out of 4LO, the vehicle MUST be stationary, shift the shift lever to Neutral (N), and for automatic transmission vehicles depress the brake pedal or for manual transmission vehicles depress the clutch pedal.

If you don't have an owners manual, download one.

#16 ·
It wasn't working the way the owners manual said that it is suppose to, so had to try other things. Once I drained and replaced the fluid in the transfer case, then it worked as it was suppose to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.