Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was an idiot and let a friend borrow my truck who knew nothing about the 4x4 system. He was pulling a small trailer to move an old triumph and felt the need to put it into 4wheel lo on a hill and neglected to take it out after climbing the hill (on asphault noless) and drove the last 5 miles going 20 in 4 wheel lo...

Needless to say, i just got my truck back and it seems like the transfer case is extremely bound. I took it off road and it drives fine in 2wd and 4 hi, but in 4 lo it hardly accellerates and upon shifting the whole truck lurches fowards enough to cause a head jurk.

Any tips or do I need to take it in?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If it's under warrenty I'd take it in....If not I'd make your friend pay to fix it.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
take your truck to the dealer and hand your retarded friend the bill, then after he pays it, kill him.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I wouldn't mention what happened, just say you have no idea and maybe the warranty will cover it.

I can't believe he did that. Sorry man.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made an appointment for next tuesday, didn't mention why the problem happend just said that it seems to be acting up. It is under full warranty for another year and powertrain for 4 years so it should be all good.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
and you all wonder why Nissan is so persnickety about fixing things under warranty.

probably just overheated the fluid.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your nissan dealer may blow, but mines been good to me.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
i'm not sure you have a problem. 20mph with a stock geared 4 low isn't that bad (even for a short extended period of time). just get's the fluid hot and it may have purged a little. i'd get that fluid level checked or check it myself.

how ofter do you use 4wd? are you that familiar with using 4 low. it's a low gear and does lurch by nature. its just the way it works. do you have auto locking hubs? you should read your manual and make sure you have them properly disengaged when in 2wd.

good luck

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not familiar with 4 lo in the frontier, though I used 4 lo in my dads f150 on many occasions. I have only used 4 lo once in my truck since I got it and So I don't remember how it drove then, but this just seems wrong.

I mean I know how 4 lo should be where as it doesn't accelerate quickly because it doubles the gearing and all but in detail, i stop, put my truck into neutral, switch into 4 lo. Right after that, i hear the normal clunk but it then the lo doesnt go solid and i hear it clunk a few more times and then itll go solid after a few seconds. Once engaged, i put it back into drive and accelerate and its atleast 3500 rpm before the truck moves and then it immediately shifts and lurches extremely hard (for those who drive stick, is feels like a newbie popping the clutch and the car about dies kinda lurch) and on... And it feels like their is absolutely no pull.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I second Beef's idea.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I am not familiar with 4 lo in the frontier, though I used 4 lo in my dads f150 on many occasions. I have only used 4 lo once in my truck since I got it and So I don't remember how it drove then, but this just seems wrong.

I mean I know how 4 lo should be where as it doesn't accelerate quickly because it doubles the gearing and all but in detail, i stop, put my truck into neutral, switch into 4 lo. Right after that, i hear the normal clunk but it then the lo doesnt go solid and i hear it clunk a few more times and then itll go solid after a few seconds. Once engaged, i put it back into drive and accelerate and its atleast 3500 rpm before the truck moves and then it immediately shifts and lurches extremely hard (for those who drive stick, is feels like a newbie popping the clutch and the car about dies kinda lurch) and on... And it feels like their is absolutely no pull.
in that case....take it to the dealer!

good luck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got my truck back from the dealer:

The integrity of the transfer case and gears were all good, but the fluid was thick and burned so they flushed the transfer case and replaced the fluid. There we no metal shavings in the old fluid. It switches between lo and hi much smoother now and doesn't have issues when accellerating.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
that t case fluid gets nasty really quick, guys have done drain and fills at 20k miles and said it looked pretty bad. its one of those things that should probably be drained and filled fairly often

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha they showed me the fluid, had a similar consistency to liquid tar.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i changed mine at 80k and it was awful

1 - 16 of 16 Posts