Nissan Frontier Forum banner

4x4 Disc Rotors in OZ

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Orrsum 
#1 ·
Hi All

Anyone know where I can get a set of drilled rotors in OZ for my 4x4 ?

Cheers Marty

#3 ·
Martin,

DBA also supply them. I have a set of their slotted ones on. They also have slotted/drilled versions. Check their web site

#4 ·
Yeah Compfriction hooked me up with a set of drilled and slotted rotors from DBA.
I give my brakes hell at the racetrack and so far the combo of ceramic pads and DBA rotors is doing the job really well.

#5 ·
Thanks guys , I ended up buying a set of std RDA disc's from Pep's $70 each , RDA LINK dont need the fancy drilled gear and I was already running ceramics on the stock discs 120k on the discs are just about gone and I doubt that I will still have the Nav in another 100k

Cheers Marty

#6 ·
what are the ceramic pads you guys are using? i'm so sick of cleaning my front rims and would like to get into some ceramic ones...

#8 ·
I am using pads by Hawke Racing from the US. I got mine from Compfriction but they arent cheap they will run you about the $200 mark by the time they are modded for the D40. I have over 50k on mine and still going strong .However I got mine for basically nothing as a test for DBA rotors and Ceramic pads.

#10 ·
When I can afford it I will be getting the braided brake lines and mine should be complete.
Has anyone done just the brake lines alone to see how much difference there is?

#13 ·
In my 2007 model, i have the soft pedal feel since new. At 20,000km I fitted DBA slotted and Bendix Heavy Duties. They were a significant improvement over the std brakes, but hardly what you would call impressive. Adequate, nothing else, with some increased resistance to fade, and lower pedal input force required.

In recent weeks there has been a materially drop off in performance. Truck now has 80,000km on it. Struggled to get the ABS to come on a dry road with 100% brake. Pedal basically on the floor and poor resistance to fade. Fresh hydraulic fluid (replaced twice) made little difference.

Solution. Move brake pedal closer to drivers seat. The brake pedals resting position should be 5mm below/behind the clutch pedal. Mine was 15mm. Adjust this up and it makes a reasonably difference to the brake pedal feel. Whilst in it own it does not increase the power of the brakes, the feel is much improved. The pedal firms up nicely. No more pedal to floor feeling. If you need instructions, PM me.

The second thing i did was replace the brake pads (50-60% worn) with ceramic pads from the US via ebay. This has made a noticeable difference to the braking performance. Much stiffer pedal, perception of greater retardation. No increase in braking noise. ABS easily comes on. Whilst i don't have prior data, the truck pulled 1G underbrakes on dry/damp road with cold A/T tyres. So its much better drive now, you actaully have confidence in the brakes the pedal input is much reduced. Its no sports car, but at least you feel you are going to stop at the lights!

Bottom line, adjust your pedal height and use fresh pads. Not sure why the pads had "gone off" so to speak. They have been used heavy (I'm a heavy driver, but don't take the brakes to fade point), and you could see the pad material coming away from the back plate on the extreme edges of the pads (indicative of many high temperature cycles). I can only think the volatile nature of the bonding agents at some point give up and the friction co-efficient decreases despite there being adequate meat on the pads.

#14 ·
Great review, thanks for sharing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.