Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
03 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 MT V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 03 4x4 XE CC Frontier and I noticed while test driving it that the dashboard indicator light for when 4 wheel drive is engaged wouldn't come on. I previously owned the same model, just in 2 door, so I know how the 4x4 works and I can tell when it's engaged based on how the tires jerk when turning on pavement, but I'd like to know if there is just a simple switch that I can test/replace in the tranny or something else?
I recently replaced the reverse light switch on my old 2 door model, and I know there's another similar looking switch nearby, but from my research, that's possibly the neutral switch?
Any thoughts on what the issue is besides possibly a burnt out bulb on the dash?
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
There's a Neutral switch and a 4WD switch on the right side of the transfer case. The circuit for the 4WD light runs first through the neutral switch (discontinued) and then through the 4WD switch (P/N: 32005-ZD30A, part code "32006Q" on the diagram. It's best to get the genuine Nissan part when you can, IF you need it. I've seen some aftermarket switches that didn't reach far enough to engage the lever in the transfer case, so they wouldn't work. It could be a switch, or just a burnt out bulb. Less likely, but possible, a shorted or open circuit or worn/damaged part that depresses the switch plunger inside the transfer case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Noob question here: let's say it is the switch. Does you need to replace it if you dont find the part?

What i mean is: will the 4x4 engage anyway?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Noob question here: let's say it is the switch. Does you need to replace it if you dont find the part?

What i mean is: will the 4x4 engage anyway?
Yes, the switch is just for the 4WD indicator light.

·
Registered
03 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 MT V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@smj999smj When you say "the neutral switch (discontinued)", do you mean I can't buy it from Nissan? Which part code number is that if I'm looking at the diagram?
I'll put it in 4WD and then do some continuity tests on part 32006Q while it should be engaged, but if I'm not quite positive the issue, would you recommend replacing that part first?
I did run into the issue with the cheap rock auto reverse switch not reaching in far enough to engage, so I had to get one from Nissanpartsdeal.com
Thank you

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
@smj999smj When you say "the neutral switch (discontinued)", do you mean I can't buy it from Nissan? Which part code number is that if I'm looking at the diagram?
I'll put it in 4WD and then do some continuity tests on part 32006Q while it should be engaged, but if I'm not quite positive the issue, would you recommend replacing that part first?
I did run into the issue with the cheap rock auto reverse switch not reaching in far enough to engage, so I had to get one from Nissanpartsdeal.com
Thank you
"32006X" is the transfer case neutral switch....P/N: 32006-33G1A. "Discontinued" means it's no longer available from Nissan. I found a new one on Ebay, but it's in Japan and the shipping cost alone is $20 to the US:

I couldn't find one at Rockauto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts