Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around tonight when as far as i can tell my front diff piled up. made a huge clunk, then locked the front tire. it kinda relaeased and not makes light clunk when driving and well once an awhile lock up again, in 4x4 or 2x4 so ya its a nisssan get to tlak to them tom. The truck only has 27000km on it. anyone hear this at all being an issue?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
sounds like you blew the front diff, if you wheel a decent amount its a common occurance. good luck with the repair

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
besides some unfinished roads nothing really so im hopeing warenty will cover it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Let us know what happens. Does not sound like abuse, should be covered under warranty.

People break their front diff's time to time. Usually they are lifted with 33's +, and spinning the hell out of it with the wheel cranked.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just make sure you have your story right when you go into the dealer. Make sure you read the owner's manual so when they ask how you engage and dis-engage the 4wd, you tell them correctly. Also, make sure you don't say anything about using it on semi-dry roads since the 4wd is different the AWD so its uses change.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Just make sure you have your story right when you go into the dealer. Make sure you read the owner's manual so when they ask how you engage and dis-engage the 4wd, you tell them correctly. Also, make sure you don't say anything about using it on semi-dry roads since the 4wd is different the AWD so its uses change.
Yeah what dubie said. There has been a lot of discussion about front or rear diffs breaking. The answer is, if the road is not 100% slippy YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DRIVE LINE! I hate this about our trucks. It is not AWD. Awd can be driven in any amount of traction. 4X4 can only be used when there is little traction.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yeah what dubie said. There has been a lot of discussion about front or rear diffs breaking. The answer is, if the road is not 100% slippy YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DRIVE LINE! I hate this about our trucks. It is not AWD. Awd can be driven in any amount of traction. 4X4 can only be used when there is little traction.
Exactly, the rule of thumb is this, 2wd always, 4wd when 2wd can't move and the 4Lo and locked when all else fails, lol. The second rule is to go back to the previous step as soon as you are beyond the obsticle.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't wanna be flamed for saying this, but..

These threads make me more envious of my rodeo and my girlfriend's colorado..

and makes me feel retarded for getting the frontier

but then I push those thoughts aside and try my best to love my truck anyways and cross my fingers..

it sucks though, constantly on a bit of a nerve feeling like my truck is a fragile piece of glassware, while in my rodeo im get a little crazy with.. "YAH!! 4 LO !! PUNCH IT! GO ! DAMMIT GO GO ! LOOK AT THAT MUD, HOLY SH**, THAT WAS AWESOME, .. WOOO ! *hair standing up on back of neck* LOOK A HUGE DIP! LETS HIT IT! EVERYONE HOLD ON!! ... WHERE'S THE CAR WASH!!?"

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I completely agree with you. When the time comes to lift the new X I'll make sure i have the titan front diff to go along with it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Are you really advocating lying to a dealer? That's pretty fraudulent....and this is a public forum.

·
Registered
252 Posts

but then I push those thoughts aside and try my best to love my truck anyways and cross my fingers..

it sucks though, constantly on a bit of a nerve feeling like my truck is a fragile piece of glassware, while in my rodeo im get a little crazy with.. "YAH!! 4 LO !! PUNCH IT! GO ! DAMMIT GO GO ! LOOK AT THAT MUD, HOLY SH**, THAT WAS AWESOME, .. WOOO ! *hair standing up on back of neck* LOOK A HUGE DIP! LETS HIT IT! EVERYONE HOLD ON!! ... WHERE'S THE CAR WASH!!?"
I am with you on that one!

Are you really advocating lying to a dealer? That's pretty fraudulent....and this is a public forum.
I dont think he is advocating lying, just to get his information straight. If you are at a dealer who does not want to own up then you cannot give them any ammunition to use against you.

·
Registered
567 Posts

The more I see & read the more buyers remorse I have. I love the looks & ride on the Frontier, but its one thing after another they can have issues with. If I could I think it would find a new home.:thatswck:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Year:2007
Make:Nissan
Model:frontier
Build Date: ?
Trim (ie. X, S, SE, Off-Road): SE
Transmission (Auto / Manual): Auto
Suspension Lift: None
Tire Size: 265/75/16
Tire Make: Toyo
Tire Model: MT
Covered under warranty: I'm having it picked up today, I guess it's my turn to have the front diff repaired. Funny thing is I dont do any type of hard offroading, when my front diff snaped i was driving in two wheel drive on dry pavement.......I only have 39,XXX miles on it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Year:2007
Make:Nissan
Model:frontier
Build Date: ?
Trim (ie. X, S, SE, Off-Road): SE
Transmission (Auto / Manual): Auto
Suspension Lift: None
Tire Size: 265/75/16
Tire Make: Toyo
Tire Model: MT
Covered under warranty: I'm having it picked up today, I guess it's my turn to have the front diff repaired. Funny thing is I dont do any type of hard offroading, when my front diff snaped i was driving in two wheel drive on dry pavement.......I only have 39,XXX miles on it.
How is that possable? How could you brake it when you werent using it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.